Beginning (part 1)

It all starts with my average, 14 year old life. I was just sitting in my room painting an orchid when chaos erupted. The next thing I knew, I was grabbing an emergency backpack and running out the back door with my mom, dad, and my 12 year old twin siblings, Ava and Colin.

As we ran down the street towards the underground shelter, I saw a group of about 50 people running towards us, and they did not look like the kind of people you stick with in a crisis. When we finally got to the shelter, there were at least 10 other families packed inside and not much space for very many others. As I looked around, I recognized our neighbor Samantha, who used to come over and play with Ava. But she did not look like the same joyful girl she once was.

When we got to a bunk, my parents sat us down, and told us the plan. But of course, it involved me, my brother and my sister staying while my parents went out to get supplies. As they left, I look toward my siblings and saw Ava crying, while Colin tried to comfort her. When I told them everything was going to be fine, I knew deep down it wasn't.

While they sat on one of the beds and tried to sleep, I walked around to find some food and water. It wasn't until then I realized I had not eaten since yesterday's dinner of spaghetti. When I found storage room, I found a couple cans of beef stew and a couple boxes of Cheerios. The minute I saw how little food there was for the amount of people we had, I knew we only had a couple days before we had to leave the shelter for a hard life of survival, and running from monsters.