part 4 - the ferris wheel

| "Another day is going by / I'm thinking about you all the time / But you're out there / And I'm here waiting / And I wrote this letter / In my head / 'cause so many things were left unsaid / But now you're gone / And I can't think straight / This could be the one last chance / To make you understand / I'd do anything / Just to hold you in my arms / To try to make you laugh / Somehow I can't put you in the past." | -SIMPLE PLAN

🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻

The walk to the ferris wheel is a short one, and once we reach the long line, I know we're gonna have some time to talk. The sky is fading into a dark blue, and I can see stars appearing above us. I look at our hands, and her dainty fingers are still interlocked with my battered hands, and I feel like our hands alone are a good enough comparison to understand what we look like together. I squeeze her hand gently, and she returns the gesture.

"Wow, this line is crazy! It seems like it's moving quickly, though." She observes, and I nod. "I swear it's worth it, the view from up there is awesome!" I say, and she smiles at me. I watch as the ginormus wheel circulates a few turns and stops, letting the couple that is positioned at the bottom of the wheel exit their cart. "I hope the rest of the gang is having a good time." She says, and I look down at her, locking gazes with her E/C eyes.

I let myself take her appearance in; her soft skin, vibrant smile, and kind eyes taking me away from the outside world. The only thing I see is her, illuminated in the colored lights from the ferris wheel that reflect on her face. The rest of the world could stop in its tracks and I wouldn't notice; I'm simply too drunk on this girl. "Kirishima?" I hear her soft voice say.

"Has anyone ever told you how incredibly lovely you are?" I say, not caring if I sound random or silly. Even with the darkness settling in and the colored lights, I can see her face blush. I reach my hand up to her face, and she lets me rest my hand against her cheek. I rub my thumb against the soft skin of the area above her cheekbone. Her face is warm against my hand, and I smile down at her gorgeous face. The feeling of pure sweetness radiates off her, and it's intoxicating.

I lean in and press a kiss onto her forehead, lingering a moment before I retreat. We notice a huge gap in the line where it has moved forward, so we speed-walk to catch up. When we're finally where we're supposed to be in line, I turn back toward Y/N. "Y'know, I had a crush on you allllllll through high school." I confess to her, and she chuckles as I see her cheeks turn pink. "Uh, well, you see, I felt the same way about you." She says, and she bats her eyelashes at me. "Shame that we didn't figure that out, huh?" I say to her with a wink, and she laughs.

"Yeah, too bad. We could have went on dates, gone to prom together, I could have helped you-" She stops and leans in close, whispering, "dye your hair." she says, and I burst out laughing. "I mean hey, we could still do all of that! Except prom, of course. I definitely should have asked you, though." I say, and she shrugs her shoulders. "Yeah, you should have, we would have had a great time." she says, and I open my mouth to respond, but then I hear yelling.

"Hey! Are you guys gonna get on or what?" The ferris wheel operator yells. "Oop!" she says, and we run hand in hand to the cart. We get into the cart, and the operator closes and latches the gate to the cart behind us. "Y'know what to do. No rocking the cart, hands and other appendages in the cart at all times, no hanky-panky." He drones, and we both nod. The ferris wheel cart rocks slightly as the wheel makes a metal-on-metal screeching noise, and our cart begins to move upward into the air.

As we lift higher, we can see more of the city. The lights of the buildings and street lights look like beacons against the night sky, and it makes for a gorgeous sight. I gently squeeze her hand to get her attention, and she looks over at me. I point to the city lights in front of us, and she directs her gaze to where my finger is pointing. I can see all of the flashing lights reflect in her eyes as she takes in the beautiful sight.

"It's gorgeous now, but wait until we get to the top! We can see the whole city from up there!" She says with child-like excitement, and I can't help but chuckle. As if the operator heard us, we started to ascend to the peak of the ferris wheel. The wheel stops, and the cart rocks and groans in response. Once the cart stops moving, we lean our bodies forward to look at the city below us. The lights are as vibrant and enchanting as anticipated, and the fact that Y/N is beside me makes this experience even more incredible. "Wooooooooow!" I hear Y/N say quietly. I respond with an uh-huh. I lean back in the bench seat, which isn't exactly comfortable, but I wouldn't change anything about right now.

"Hey, Y-Y/N." I say, hyping myself up to do what I'm considering doing. "Yeah, Kiri? You good?" She turns around to face me, and I decide that I'm going to man-up and do it, and not chicken out and kiss her forehead instead. I put my hand on the side of her face again, and I gently pull her face closer to mine. I rest my forehead against hers for a moment, and I take a breath and close the space between us.

Her lips are soft, and I can still taste the sugary sweetness of cotton candy on her lips. I pull away slowly to make sure she's comfortable, and I rest our foreheads together again. "You good?" I ask her, and her eyes flutter open slowly. "I'm absolutely perfect, Kirishima." She says, pressing her lips to mine, but with an intensity that our first kiss was missing. Eyes closed, I use the hand that I have on her face to move a strand of her hair out of her face. My other arm reaches around her waist and pulls her body closer to me.

At this moment, I know that I am exactly where I'm supposed to be.

🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻🔺🔻

A/N:

Hey y'all!
I hope you're liking this! Also, I hope you like the songs the chapters are inspired by, they're some of my favorites! I'm open to constructive criticism, by the way, so feel free to comment!

Much Love,

Madds