Jace | Chap. 20

Cade guided the Omega towards the river, a bag of supplies at his shoulders. It seemed like the more time he spent with her, the more he acted like her escort or some pimp trying to woo a pretty lady. My Wolf was more focused growling of jealousy at the sight of Cade with the girl, forcing me to once again push him away to avoid any "unwanted" behaviors.

"You really need to stop pushing your Wolf away." Kira groaned from her spot, her baggy old eyes starring through my soul. Dammit, she's using her old mind tricks on me!

"I thought I forbade you to use your 'mind tricks' on me, women.

- I'm not. But your Wolf is so miserable, even a blind monk could see right through you! You need her Jace.

- I DONT NEED ANYONE!" I snapped, glaring at the old hag with all the hatred I had for her. What does she think I am, a child?

"You can't go on like this. Sooner or later, you'll drive yourself insane if you don't accept her."

I poked my stick into the fire camp, playing around with the blaze and ash, trying to ignore Kira's searing words. But as much as I hate to admit it, she's right. If I don't accept the Omega, I'll eventually go mad with lust and lose control over myself. That's the last thing any Wolf wants... It's a horrible, horrible experience for both mates, at least from what I've heard. And despite my flawless control over my Wolf, even I couldn't escape such a terrible faith. My only chance is to get rid of this cursed mark and the Omega's, then we'd both be free.

Too bad my true love was wasted on such a pathetic-

"There's something else we need to talk about." Kira's croaking voice pulled me back into reality and I sighed.

"What is it now?

- Ava. There's something... Odd about her." She lowered her voice as she subtly got closer to me, pretending to prepare some soup for the group.

I rolled my eyes at her statement. "Of course there's something wrong, she's the Omega, for crying out loud! How am I supposed to keep a repu-

- Jace, let me finish!" She barked, almost spilling the bowl's content onto her robe. "There's something else you need to know about!" She paused, as if she was about to give me the speech of the century. "This morning, when I checked on her wound... It was gone."

I arched a brow. Seriously? She's freaking out over a dumb wound? "In case you forgot; were Werewolves. We have supernatural healing-

- Jace, this wasn't just some scratch! A bullet passed through her upper hip and yet she doesn't have a single mark on her skin. It seems as if it disappeared overnight!"

My heart jumped a beat at her words. Now that was intriguing. Yes, werewolves do have supernatural healing but it mostly means we can withstand injuries deemed fatal for humans -most of the time. But for a wound as bad as the Omega's to heal without a trace overnight? That's just wrong...

"Any idea how this happened?

- I do not have a clue." She sounded so, confused and troubled which honestly peaked my interest. She's the best healer known to this pack and even she can't explain it.

What the hell does it mean?

A sudden scream resonated from a distance and alerted the entire pack. My Wolf instantly barked and whimpered, a sudden wave of anxiety washing over my body.

Protect mate! Protect mate! It cried, itching to come out. I silenced it and gazed around, realizing Zed was nowhere around. And by hearing the girl scream with anger, I quickly put two and two together.

Pervert.

"Aren't you going to help her?" Kira wondered aloud, stirring the pot's mixture as it boiled over the flames.

"Why would I? It's probably just Zed messing around again.

- She's your mate, Jace. Whether you accept her or not, she is important!

- Cade is already puppy guarding her-" my phrase was almost cut short when I felt a sudden jab in my ribs and clenched my teeth.

It felt like something had poked at my skin from the inside, but the sensation vanished before I could give it anymore thought. The hell was that about!? The feeling was quick to disappear, and I brushed it off as a mere discomfort. Still, Kira had a point. The girl's position made her quite valuable to rogues; if the word spread, they'd absolutely try to kidnap her and ask for a fat ransom. Although, I could just leave them to do whatever they want to her, it's of little importance to me. My train of thought was disrupted by another strange jab in the ribs, but this time, I slightly flinched at the pain.

Am I already loosing it...?

"Going back to the girl, we'll have to keep an eye on her.

- We?

- She's your mate, not mine!" I groaned and passed my hand through my hair. Of course she has to be my problem, I'm the new Alpha and everyone just loves to dump their shit onto you, or me in this case. "Either way, your the Alpha now; it's time you take your responsibilities seriously and that includes thanking care of your pack." What did I say...

"If your just gonna lecture me, why don't you keep working on that fire of yours and get supper ready?"

She groaned, shaking her head with a disappointed sigh while she focused on the piece of rat meat cooking over the fire. Appetizing... If only Cade wasn't busy wooing his precious Omega, we'd have an actual decent meal other than Kira's rat stew. I swear this women had guts of steel or some magical potion to help digest whatever she ate. The things I've seen her eat... Even though she's never touched an animal or bug, I've seen her devour strange mixtures, boils of veggies and plants I didn't even know were edible. If rat stew was bad to one's eye, then they'd never be able to stomach her "homemade" salads.

It didn't take too long before the meat was nicely roasted and Kira began to tear it down into pieces which she'd then plunge into the stew and serve to everyone with small wooden bowls. Angel gave me a disgusted cringe when I passed her a bowl, but I scowled and she kept quiet. I will not endure another one of Kira's speeches on how good of a chef she thinks she is, even though she could practically burn water with her skills.

Despite it all, we ate our stews in silence, waiting for Cade and the Omega's return.

"Is there a village somewhere between here and Lebroch territory?" I asked, starring into the fire's dying ashes.

Halfway through her bite, Kira waved her wrinkly hand around. "There's a very small town in the woods adjacent to the Lebroch pack territory.

- How many days before we reach it?

- Fifteen, fourteen maybe. Depends how fast we-

- We'll head there once Cade and the Omega returns. I'll only take a few Guards with me to Alpha Patton. The rest will stay back until I return."

Kira smiled. "Finally! Never thought I'd see the day Jace Weston takes his responsibilities seriously.

- Don't get your hopes up granny," Ryder mocked from his spot, wrinkling his leather jacket. "Must've taken such a toll, I'm pretty sure it's a one time deal- OUCH!!

- WATCH YOUR TONGUE, BOY!!" I held back a snort when the old lady slammed a stick onto his head, giving a satisfying sound on impact. "Call me 'Granny' once more and I swear, I'll rip your spine and whip your sorry ass with it!"

This time a good chuckle rippled throughout the group and everyone seemed as amused as I was to see Ryder have a taste of his own medicine. But I quickly ordered everyone to pipe down unless we wanted to give away our position to the enemy. -Little side note for those who are wondering about the fire, we aren't idiots. Kira used one of her spells to extinguish the smoke. Don't ask how it works, it just does and I'm taking it-

At that moment, Cade and the Omega walked into the clearing, the girl's skin now clear of all muck and properly dressed with an outfit proper for her style -my Wolf thought it to be downright adorable and couldn't stop admiring her curves-. She sat down once again by the large oak tree and received a bowl of stew from Cade who then took his own share. She took a first taste of the bowl's content and almost immediately spat it out.

-*-

Please consider leaving a VOTE and a COMMENT!