Chapter 1

Sophie stared at Keefe's forehead, wanting to throw all the vials that were on his bedside table at it until he woke up. She had tried transmitting, threatening, transmitting, holding his eyes open, and transmitting with Fitz. She was just about ready to dump a bucket of water on his head when he twitched, and his eyes fluttered open. They landed on her, then slipped closed as Keefe let out a snore.

"Elwin! Come here! Keefe just woke up!"

Elwin came rushing into the room faster than light itself, then stopped halfway across the room when he noticed Keefe's still sleeping form.

"Very funny Sophie, but this is not a joking matter." He glared at her to emphasise the point, but she shook her head.

"I swear he woke up, but it was only for a second. He just fell asleep again." He gave her a knowing look, as if he knew she was pulling his leg. At that moment, Keefe's eyelids fluttered again.

"Fos-er," he said, his voice garbled, "Issat you?" His eyes slipped closed again, and he resumed his slumber. Elwin alternated between staring at Keefe and at Sophie for a few seconds, then rushed to his unconscious patient and started flashing and switching colors so quickly that it made her head spin.

"His vitals are in good condition, and his heart rate is returning to its usual resting pace. This is extremely good news."

"It's good news, but why isn't he awa-"

"Fos-er!" Keefe cried, "C'mere." She rushed to him just in time for his eyes to flutter closed, then snap back open. He made a weak attempt to grab her hand before his eyes slipped shut again, but she held on as if he were about to die. For all she knew, his heart rate could skyrocket and he could kill himself.

She shoved the thought from her mind when Keefe let out another snore. She was not going to let him die. As much as she would hate to admit it to his face(a ridiculous amount of teasing would follow), she loved spending time with him. He made her feel good about herself, and was always trying to make her laugh, even when he wasn't in the mood for laughter. She squeezed his hand tighter as he twitched in his sleep, wishing he would wake up, wake up, wake up. She was willing to go to the extremes, like bringing a Gullon into the healing center and stuffing it under his nose for him to smell, he was just so close to being awake.

In the meantime, she wanted to look somewhat put-together so that he wouldn't feel the pressure to be strong for her. The fact that she was willing to let him cry on her shoulder while she comforted him made her feel like she did deserve him, even if this was once for the hundreds of times he had done it for her. She slipped her hand out of Keefe's, and turned to Elwin.

"I'm going to go home for a few hours, but I'll be back soon. I think I'm a bit overdue for a shower." He only gave her a curt nod, still engrossed in the well-being of his patient. She figured that would be as much of a response as she would get, and held her home crystal to the light that shone through the window.

                                                                            o0oOo0o

Edaline insisted that Sophie stay for dinner as soon as she walked through the doors, and there was no way she could refuse her mother in the state she was in. Tangled hair, baggy eyes, and wrinkled clothes that looked like they had spent the night on the floor. Sophie assumed she looked much the same. After many hugs and comforting words, Sophie made her way to her bedroom. She pulled her old human backpack out of her closet, and crammed in a few tunics, a couple pairs of leggings, her toothbrush, a brush, and on a spit decision, her old scrapbook and Ipod. She put it by the door along with Ella, her blue stuffed elephant adorned in a Hawaiian shirt.

She then jumped in the shower, letting the hot water wash over her, and let her worries wash down the drain with them.

Keefe was going to be okay. He was going to be okay. He would wake up soon, no doubt scared and shaken, and she needed to be there when he did. Maybe she would bring Mrs. Stinkbottom with her, and Keefe's sketchbooks.

She stepped out of the shower when she deemed herself clean, and changed into a grey tunic and black leggings, tugging on brown, knee-high boots as she tumbled down the stairs. Literally.

She had reached the landing on the second floor when she tripped, and if Sandor had not been there to catch her, she would have likely ended up as a patient on the cot next to Keefe's. Finally getting to the bottom of the stairs(safely), she joined her mother in the kitchen for dinner.

                                                                               o0oOo0o

As Edaline walked Sophie out to the cliff-side gate, she gave her a knowing glance, as if she was hiding something.

"So, tell me," she said to Sophie, "why aren't your other friends spending as much time at the healing center as you are?" She raised an eyebrow, as if expecting her to lie.

"I don't know. I'm just really worried about Keefe, and I want to be there when he wakes up." She shivered at the ocean breeze, pulling her cloak tighter around herself.

"What makes you think he'll wake up soon?"

"He woke up today, but only for a few seconds. It was weird, he just kept going back to sleep." Edaline raised both her eyebrows this time, her eyes sparkling with joy. "Tell him I send my love." Sophie nodded as Edaline hugged her. "One more thing, Sophie." She pulled back from the hug just enough to look at her mother. "As a mom, it's my job to pay attention to things. Are you sure there's nothing going on between you and Keefe?" Sophie cocked her head.

"Like what?"

"Do you... have feelings for him?" Sophie blushed, but had no idea why.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Edaline sighed.

"Of course you don't," Edaline said, sounding exasperated. "You're just as oblivious as your friends say you are."

Author's Note

Hey guys! Sorry for such a short chapter, I swear they get longer and better from here, so if you just give it a chance I promise it will be worth the wait.

Please be kind to one another, and have a great weekend!

(1100 words)