Part 15

"That's fine, Liz. At this point, I don't need your support on every single one of my decisions. I'm a grown-ass woman, and there's not really much else that you're going to be able to do about the choices I make. If you don't want to support me, that's fine," I replied. I'm not sure how much of it that I actually meant, but I wasn't going to stop something that had the potential to make me so happy just because it had made me said a few times.
"I think that it would be best if you left, Allie. Take Griffin with you," she said calmly, not letting her guard down.
I scoffed. "What are you saying?"
"I'm saying that I pay for this apartment, and I've been very kind to let you stay here free of charge because I know that you've had a lot of stuff going on the past few years, but I will not watch you self-sabotage any longer."
Griffin wrapped an arm around my waist. "You can come and stay with us."
"Oh, that is rich!" Liz exclaimed. "Little Griffy to the rescue, huh? You're like the villain in a superhero's cape. You wreck the day, but you come back, and suddenly, you're making everything so much better!"
"That's enough," I interjected. "I'm going to go pack up some of my essentials, and I'll be back this weekend to pack up the rest of my belongings."

Liz didn't protest as Griffin and I left the kitchen, heading back into my bedroom. "Don't freak out, love. She'll come around," Griffin murmured, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind.
I shrugged out of his grip, continuing to pack a bag. "I don't think so. We've never, ever fought like this, and based solely on the look on her face, she's holding steady to her beliefs. It's fine. I'll be out of your hair as soon as I can find a place to stay, okay?"
Griffin grabbed my wrist. "Hey, I won't mind you being there. It will be easier for us to figure out what we're doing together."
"Are you asking me to move in with you permanently?" I asked, yanking my wrist away from him. I wasn't angry with him, but he was going to be the easiest thing to take my anger out on.
"Yeah, I am, Allie. I understand if you don't have an answer right now, but that's fine. I'll wait for you forever if I have to. I really think that you're it for me, Al."
I rolled my eyes playfully. "If that's your attempt at getting in my pants, it's strange, but it's working." I finished packing as Griffin sat down on my bed.

Liz stood by in the living room, watching as Griffin and I carried my bags out of my room. "I'm sorry that it came to this, Allie. You know that I care about you."
I scoffed again. "Just not enough to support my decisions. I've got it."
I didn't let Liz speak again as I took my key off my keychain. I looked at her sadly before I closed the door behind us.
"You okay?" Griffin asked, grabbing my hand as we walked down the hallway.
"I don't know," I shrugged. "It happens, I guess. Everything will be fine."
"Are you trying to convince me or yourself?" he asked, squeezing my hand.
"Ask again later," I laughed.

We arrived at his car, and Griffin popped open the trunk, taking my bag from me. He walked around the car, opening the door for me. When he got into his seat, he turned to look at me. "Ready?" he asked.
I nodded. "Ready as I'll ever be."
It had been less than twenty-four hours since I had walked in on Dixie and Griffin, and I still wasn't completely sure that I believed Griffin's story. It was definitely going to take some time for me to trust him again, but for right now, I was willing to make it work.
"What are you thinking about?" he asked, looking over at me.
"Liz. You. Me. Everything, I guess," I answered, turning to look out the window.

We pulled into Sway's driveway, and Griffin patted me on the knee. "If you need anything, you can tell me. We're in this together, you know?"
"Yeah, I know," I said, looking up to give him a quick kiss. "Let's go inside."
Noah and Dixie were in the living room when we walked in. "And she's back," Dixie said, her tone matching the look on her face.
"Sorry to disappoint, Dix," I said, deciding to take the high road.
Noah ignored her outburst. "Hey, Allie. Good to see you."
I greeted him, heading upstairs to Griffin's room.

"I wish that she didn't hate me so much," I said, flopping myself down onto his bed.
He sat next to me, putting my head in his lap. "I think she's just mad at me still, so she's taking it all out on you. Noah texted me and said that he would talk to her about that."
I looked up at him, feigning a pout. "If you say so."
"I do say so," he teased, leaning down to kiss my forehead. "Let's go tell everyone what's going on."

We walked down the stairs, and most of his friends were already in the living room. "Hey, guys. Can we talk to you for a second?"
"Is Allie pregnant?" Bryce blurted out, already assuming the worst.
"Jesus, I hope not," I replied, suddenly worried about more than just my friendship with Liz.
"Bryce, can you let them speak? You're always jumping the gun," Addison chastised him. "Sorry, Griff. Go ahead."
"Thank you, Addison. There's been a little issue with Allie's living situation. I offered to let her live here with us," Griffin explained.
"Um, why would you do that?" Dixie asked.
"Dix, baby, enough. I don't know why you don't like Allie, but you cannot keep treating her like that," Noah interrupted.
Everyone else looked around the room awkwardly as they argued. "It won't be for long, Dixie. I just need a place to stay until I find something permanent."
She was still angry about something, and she stormed off towards the stairs.