- CHAPTER XI

CHAPTER XI | WILD FIRE

LYLA COULDN'T SLEEP, she couldn't settle her mind. She sat in the middle of the camp knees pulled into her chest, arms folded over them, resting her head on her arms with her sword in one hand. She cringed as she heard Andrea let out another bone chilling cry. Her eyes floated around camp to the numerous bodies laying on the ground, some walkers and some are her people who just got devoured. She couldn't understand how the group is just sleeping, not even moving the bodies. The smell was enough to keep Lyla awake.

Lyla spotted a woman name Jocelyne not too far away. Her inner organs were splayed out on the ground infront of her, the Walker responsible dead not to far from the body either. Lyla sighed and stood up. She walked slowly to the body, dragging her sword with her. As she approached she noticed how quick the body lost its color, she assumed it was from the lack of inner organs. "I'm sorry," She whispered and placed her hand over face and closed her eyelids.

"Hey," Daryl's deep rough voice called out to Lyla. She wasn't expecting to hear anything, so she jumped as soon as he spoke.

Lyla turned to Daryl and gave him a soft sad smile. Daryl was perched on a large rock, a bottle of moonshine in one and a cigarette in the other. Lyla stared at the bottle for a moment, she hoped he'd share. "Can't sleep?" She questioned as she walked up to him, shielding her sword.

Daryl grunted in response and took another long drag of his cigarette. In truth, he wasn't sure why he called out to her. He wasn't even in a mood to talk, he never was. She just seemed sad, he thought. Then he began to think maybe it was the moonshine. "Me either," She spoke sadly. She typically did all the talking when they were together.

"What happened with your brother?" She asked, turning to look at him. She reached for his cigarette. With Daryl you don't ask, you just have to take or he'll say no she learned.

Daryl watched the cigarette leave his hand. He watched her tiny little hands reach out and grab it right from him. She always does this, he thought. He thought it was weird, but let her do it anyways. He then watched her bring it up to her lips and take a drag. Daryl brought his empty hand up to his mouth and began chewing on his thumb.

As Lyla inhaled she felt the familiar burn in the back of her throat and the immediate calmness that came with it. She flicked the ash out of it with her pointer finger. Lyla watched the small stream of smoke fly off the cigarette. As Lyla was about to ask Daryl again what happened, he answered. "He cut off his own hand. Trail went cold," He said, his voice extra scratchy and deep.

Daryl simply sat and watched the girl. Her face barely illuminated from the moonlight, but one thing he could see was the giant black bruise on her face and he became angry. He couldn't imagine who would want to bruise such a pretty face. "What the hell happened to your face," Daryl grunted out as he reached out and cupped her face, turning her head so the bruised cheek was facing him.