Chapter 14: Do You Miss Me Already?

Joker's P.O.V:

The morning light shown in the warehouse. Batsy was still in the chair. I was out too late again. Harley isn't going to like it, not like I care anyway. I looked at the Bat and then his gauntlets, 

"6:27 AM". 

They flashed. 

"It's early and alas, my time to leave. I'm out later than I anticipated," 

I said and Bruce nodded, 

"Me too" 

he replied. 

"I'm not helping you out of the chair just so you know. So see you then. You'll know when to find me." 

I finished talking and watched as Bruce recalculated his situation. 

"Right..."

 I eyed him as the words slipped from his lips. I couldn't help myself and grasped Bruce's chin. I kissed him on the lips, 

"Until then Brucie." 

I laughed and made my way to the ground level exit of the warehouse. 

I opened the door and squinted as the sunlight reached my eyes. The cool morning breeze washed over me and it felt nice. I had a raging headache and maybe it was because I woke up in a cold shock. I had a few lairs littered across Gotham but I just wanted to go home

Good thing my favourite hideout was is in the fashion district. I think travelling on the rooftops will be more discreet especially since the streets will be crawling with feds after they find my message for Batsy.

Narrator's P.O.V:

The agile Clown made his way to the rooftops of the fashion district. He was heading to the underground hideout he created for himself under a simple and ordinary 3 story apartment building. He ran across the rooftops, casually slowing down to watch the quiet streets of Gotham. 

They were always when he committed mass murder. 

Joker struck fear into the hearts of Gotham and he liked it, to be feared. No matter how hard someone struck Joker he always found a way to stand back up, he had to

His past was gone and Joker was all he had. He told himself that it was all he needed but Joker did want and need something more, someone more

He was about 30 minutes away from where he left the Bat and he was wondering something. He stopped on the roof of another building near his hideout's complex.

Joker's P.O.V:

I stopped just roofs before my hideout's building. 

Should I call it a hideout? It's maybe like a sick joke that tries to resemble the safeness and warmth of a home. 

Never mind that, I wonder if Batsy got out of that chair by now? Knowing him I wouldn't be surprised and I didn't bother disarming him because he complied. I looked up at the pale dark blue skies and cotton candy clouds. 

When was the last time I was outside this early in the morning? When was the last time I enjoyed the cool breeze against my skin? 

The thought was saddening but it was always him. Only an altercation with Batsy resulted in a fight until sunrise or chase

I decided I'd travel the rest of the way through the connecting alleyways of the complex. I got off the roof and ran through the alleys. It would be bad news for me to get caught. 

I can't go back to Arkham, I'd rather die than do that. 

I stopped abruptly when I heard footsteps, they were fast and light like they belonged to a woman or child. 

But why would a child be around h- 

My thought was cut short as I heard the footsteps get closer. 

"Shit!" 

I panicked, there was nowhere to go except back the way I came which was pointless. 

A young boy with pale jade eyes and dirty blonde hair ran past me. We locked eyes as he darted past and I was sure I've seen him before. 

After I was sure he was gone, I sighed with relief. I continued running till I was at the stairs which led to my hideout.

Narrator's P.O.V:

Joker entered his lair, the neon lights and banners made him feel like he belonged

Harley was waiting for him. 

She was propped up like a porcelain doll on the dark grey velvet couch in the corner of the open area. Her gunmetal blue eyes were closed and as soon as Joker stepped closer to her they opened. A smile danced across her glossy scarlet lips. 

"Oh puddin'! What took you so long?" 

She pouted but Joker wasn't interested in talking with her. 

"Just business peaches," 

Joker said plainly as he sat down beside the poised doll-like woman. 

"Business? It's always business! You never have time for me!" 

She rose her voice, 

"Don't raise your voice at me, Harley. I don't have to explain mys-" 

"YES, YOU DO! Do you not love me the way I love you? Do you not care or are you just a monster with a black heart!?

Harley interrupted and her voice was breaking. 

Joker's emerald eyes twitched in annoyance. 

"I don't love you peaches, and I don't care. I am a monster with a black heart." 

He glared at her with a murderous sheen in his eyes. 

"I could also snap that pretty little neck of yours with no remorse." 

The viscous Jester finished coldly. 

He traced his fingers along her neck and she flinched as he threatened to lock them around her throat. She stood up and burst into tears, her light makeup ran as a result of her heavy tears. 

"You don't mean that you don't mean it!" 

The lovely yet broken harlequin said. 

She ran off into a back room of the lair and left Joker alone with his thoughts. His headache was getting worse and he did mean what he said to Harley. She got on his nerves. And even though he knew it was true, the usage of the word monster pissed him off. 

He was and felt like a monster and to make matters worse his feelings for his enemy were teasing to set him free from his prison of the mind. He can't escape himself just as much as he couldn't escape Batman. 

"For what is a Joker without his ace of spades," 

Joker mumbled to himself. 

He got up and walked to the door of his room before opening it. He bent down and picked a handful up of the sparkly confetti that covered the floors of the lair. He entered his room and got to work scheming. Despite how much he hoped to sleep, he couldn't. Harley's mention of love only made him think of his enemy, Batman. 

"I hope you miss me already Batsy.