Chapter 14 - The Masked Martial Arts Tournament

"Aah, Octagonia," Sylvando clasps his hands together, "home to muscular brutes beating the bajesus out of each other! I've always wanted to visit!"

It turns out we didn't find out much in Zwaardsrust. The only thing we found was a small inn and some rumours that the merchant headed out towards...well, here.

Right in front of us a round building, with a knight holding his sword out in front of him.... why does he look familiar...?

"Oh, great," Erik groans beside me, "they're fans of Hendrik huh? I hate this place already..."

"You're not alone there..." I agree as a girl in a bunny suit comes sashaying up to us.

"Hey there, hun," she greets, "y'all here to take part in the tournament? You sure oughta – the Masked Martial Arts meet is where all the biggest fighters make their names!" She hands me a flier before going off again.

"What's it say?" Erik starts to read over my shoulder, "'show the world what you've got in the greatest fighting contest in Erdrea. Awesome prizes available.'"

"A tournament, eh?" Veronica asks, "I thought she was going to invite you to some boring old dance or something. I wonder what the masks are for..."

"What's that at the bottom?" Serena asks, "'All bouts to be...held in the rooftop arena.' I suppose that must be the top of that big building over there..."

As soon as we walk into the reception area, Veronica gasps and points to the counter, where underneath a glass vase, as a brown stick with a shining aura around it.

"Look, it's the Rainbough! It's got to be!" She looks up at me, "the merchant who bought it from the Sultan of Gallopolis must have sold it to the tournament organisers!"

It just looks like a branch, I think blandly. If I'm honest, I thought it would a bit bigger, or at least have a few leaves – not just two!

"Does this mean we're going to have to enter the tournament?" Serena asks.

Veronica waits a moment, before putting her hands on her hips and smirking up at moi, "nope! It means we're going to have to win it!"

"Laaadies and gentlemen! Aaaare you rrrrready? It's everyone's favourite season of the year! Fighting season!" The announcer declares

I can't believe I'm doing this. I strolled right up to the counter and signed myself down for the Masked Martial Arts Tournament. I got given a ask which I purple at one side and goes to a black and white chequered pattern at the other end. I also got given a number: Eleven.

"Let's throw open the big book of brawling legends and get ready to write to in some new names. The Masked Martial Arts start here!" He gestures to a box next to him, "Now, before our fighters get down and dirty, it's time to find out who'll be paired with who. Let's hope everyone gets the partner they deserve1 I'm going to draw balls from this box right here and call numbers1 Each pair of numbers forms a team. Fighters1 We'll be counting on your to make the most of whoever you're matched with! Remember – teamwork makes the dreamwork!" He plunges his hand into the box, "alrighty, let's get started!" He brings out a green ball, "aaand the first number is...Eleven! Fighter Number Eleven, step right up!"

Feeling millions of pairs of eyes on me, I step up to the middle as the announcer delves his hand back into the box again, "alight, now time to see who'll see who'll be fighting beside you! Let's see, who...will...it..be?"

He brings out a purple ball, "...Eight! It's fighter number Eight! Number Eight, make your way to the stage!"

A girl in a green collar-neck with a black tank top underneath, with the same coloured shorts and a green skirt connected to a belt with emerald green, knee high boots. She has a pretty, purple butterfly mask and dark brown hair, tied back into a ponytail, secured with a red bobble. On her hands, she has back fingerless gloves and green wrist protectors.