Chapter 4

Zayn's POV

We were all woken up an hour or so before dawn to get outside into the trenches. All of us were so scared, we were numb. We weren't thinking when we climbed in the trench with our guns loaded. We weren't thinking when we all huddled together seconds before the siren sounded. But we were thinking when the first gun was fired, and we climbed out of the trench, running straight to the forest.

Shots weren't fired at us because there were only four of us going to the forest and over a thousand other men waiting to fight. Liam wanted to be one of those men, but we talked him out of it just when the first gun was fired and he realized this isn't a test if you're a man. It's a test at staying alive. Well, that's what this ment for us at least. All patriotic feelings we had towards Great Britain flew out the window because there was no way in hell we were going live if we ran straight to battle.

When we reached the edge of the forest, I turned to look back for a second and saw things I never wanted to see again. I saw people getting shot, blown up and fighting each other. Bloody cries were still heard even over the loud noise of guns and bombs. I turned and continued running through the forest with my friends. All our guns were in the defense position and ready to shoot incase we needed to. I just wanted to get to safety. I hated feeling so vulnerable to my surroundings.

At school everyone would look at me like I was the best thing ever. People always had my back and were there to protect me from people that thought they were better than me. Now, I have thousands of men that don't even know me, wanting to kill me. I'm not used to being on this side of things. The side where I'm not being looked up to. The side where I'm... like everyone else.

Our surroundings kept us pretty well hidden, especially because our uniforms helped us a blend in with the trees and the dirt covered ground. We ran for a while, without anyone seeing us or even being in the same area of anyone else. I started to feel like we were going to be alright, but then we got to a river at the edge of the woods. I knew there was one thing I didn't know how to do that could save me, and that was swim.

"Guys, stop. You know I can't..." I said to my friends making them stop. We were all out of breath and stood looking at the river.

"We climb a tree now and stay there for the rest of the day." Liam said strapping his gun around his shoulder. We all picked the highest tree and started climbing.

Harry was actually pretty good at climbing. His long arms really helped him reach far. Louis on the other hand, couldn't get up so Liam gave him a piggy back ride up the tree. I just climbed like any other person would, but it took me three times to get up.

When we all were sitting on separate branches in the same tree quietly trying to catch our breaths, we listened for anything or anyone. In the distance you could still hear the battle raging on, but we were safe from it. Well, as safe as you could get in the middle of a war.

It was about mid day when something interesting happened. I think I was the only one that caught it because Louis and Harry were talking quietly own each others ears and Liam was taking a nap. I was sitting on the lowest hanging branch on the tree when heard sniffles coming from a near by bush that was right by the river. I squinted trying to see what was or who was there. I caught a glimpse of a round helmet and covered my mouth to keep from making any noise.

"Harry, stop crying." Liam said sleepily. The sniffles stoped at the sound of his voice.

"I'm not crying..." He said very confused. Liam took that as his time to slide down from his branch to the ground. Even if I knew this person was on the Irish side, I didn't want him to get killed. I don't want to see blood today. Maybe he won't even kill us. I mean, he was crying right? I jumped down after Liam and soon Harry and Louis did as well.

I advanced on the bush after stopping Liam from being the person to see what was being hidden. I got closer to where I heard the sniffles coming from and peeked around the side only to be met with two big blue eyes.

The boy stood up so fast that he dropped his gun the the river behind him. I saw he was now unarmed, so I set my gun down aswell. I couldn't help but notice how little tufts of blonde hair stuck out from under his helmet and his cheeks were red and covered with tears. I also I saw a hand shaped bruse on his cheek. When his eyes locked with mine, I lost the ability to breath. Eveything about this boy was gentle and perfect. From the way his eyes would blink, to the little puffs of air escaping his soft lips. How could something so beautiful be in a place like this?

It seemed like all my opinions on hating the Irish vanished from my mind. Just being in this boys presence made me feel something I don't think I've ever felt. Something I only felt when my sisters were getting bullied at school or picked on by the others. This was a new feeling to me, especially when it was to a complete stranger that was Irish. Someone I was supposed to want to kill, but instead I felt a weird need to protect him and wipe those tears off his sweet face.

I was about to ask him his name when a gun behind me clicked a bullet in place. I turned towards the sound and saw Liam holding his gun out, aiming straight at the blue eyed boys chest.

My eyes were locked in his every move as he held the gun, finger on the trigger. The only thing that made me stop looking at him was a different accented voice that made goose bumps lift on my skin and butterflies erupt in my stomach. But, the words spoken only broke my heart.

"Please, just kill me."

A/N: It's Friday! So Imma update a bit more and I'm starting to like writing this, even thought not very many people are reading it. Should I continue? Anywayyyyyy! Do you think Li will listen to baby Niall? ziall meets!!! Aahhh!
                                  - Bri;)