Chapter 23

Nothing more than a soft moonlight glow seeping itself through the glass door to the balcony, I stare up at the ceiling.

I stay entangled within Arlo's arms who is finally asleep, after me reassuring him countless of times that I am fine and to just fall asleep. His reply was his arms holding me in closer and a soft tender kiss to the top of my head, his eyes that were watching me for hours; filled with a worry I couldn't quite stand, finally close and drift off.

And here I continue to lay staring up at the ceiling with one question filling my mind.

Am I fine?

Physically, sure. Other than a few bumps, cuts and bruises, I am fine. Though, mentally? Emotionally? I'm not so sure.

Is this really the person you want to be, Maggie Addington.

And there it is. There is that darn voice yet again. It whispers throughout my ears on repeat as if he has rose from the dead to taunt me. With only that one sentence.

My jaw clenches tight from both anger and the onslaught of tears that I know are going to break through, though I refuse to let them.

Feeling like I'm suffocating, I look to Arlo who is still sleeping. Though a look of worry still creases his brow, one that I so badly want to smooth out for him. Instead, I slowly peel his arms away from me and very carefully get up from the bed, heading to the balcony door in desperate need of some air.

Hobbling over to lean on the balcony railing, the swelling and pain still present to my now wrapped ankle, I let out a long and shaky breath. Tears threaten to fall again, I continue my fight to not let them fall. Because who knows when they'll stop.

I'm mad.

I'm mad that someone like him knew.

I'm mad that I let it get to me.

I'm mad that he nearly killed me.

I'm mad that I didn't kill him my fucking self.

Letting out yet another breath, I feel a presence near it's way over to me.

"Are you okay?"

I nod my head to Arlo's question without turning to face him, keeping my eyes on the lit up garden instead.

Clearly not buying the nod, his hand reaches out to hold my cold one against the railing.

"Are you in pain? Is it your ankle?-"

"Arlo." Still looking ahead of me i cut his worried questions short. "I am fine. I just needed some air. You should be asleep."

"Fuck that." Arlo snaps back at me.

I look at him now, his glare softens once he looks into my eyes.

"It is in your head isn't it?"

I swallow hard.

"The pain."

Clenching my jaw from his words I look away again. The tears edging closer.

"Maggie," his hand squeezes mine abit firmer now.

"I'm mad," I choke out.

One single tear escapes and I angrily swipe it away.

"I'm mad that someone like him knew and that I let it get to me. He knew it did- he knew i was vulnerable. I just froze. And I nearly died because of it." Arlo's grip becomes firmer around my hand from those last few words.

"And that pisses me off because I do not pull that shit." I grit out.

Another tear falls, followed by another- one that Arlo catches this time. I shove him away from me, pointing at him with a hard glare, ignoring the hurt that crosses his features.