Chapter 1

TW: Swearing

I see my reflection in a dirty window as I walk to the circulation gate. I haven't seen myself in a few years, and I'm surprised at how utterlydifferent I look. My face is covered in grime, which was probably to my benefit, I didn't want him to recognise me.

That's why I got the barber to cut my hair, that way I could pass as a boy. I'd borrowed some clothes from an old friend, and he'd gotten me a job as a newsie (if you could even call it a job with how little those boys get paid.)

I can hear them chatting, waiting for the headline to show up. I sneak in behind them, peeking through their shoulders to watch with them. It was the trolley strike. Again. The boys whined and groaned.

"Dear me, what is that unpleasant aroma," I hear Racetrack say, "I fear the sewers may have backed up during the night."

"Or could it be..." It's him. I shake the thoughts from my mind, just catching myself in time to say "The Delancey Brothers!" with the rest of the newsies.

As the boys argue about how Oscar and Morris beat up some of the workers, I creep past so I'm closer to the front.

Morris pushes Crutchie to the ground, and I rush forward with the others. It's obvious that they all care about him, since they're offering to beat Morris up. I'm right there with them.

I watch as Jack scolds the brothers, hitting their legs with the crutch.

"Oh, wait till I get my hands on you!" Oscar yells.

"You gotta catchme first!" Jack forces him back down.

I run after them, making sure Crutchie's okay – one of the boys is carrying him to the wagons that bring in the papes. Morris chases after them, but I am thwarted.

I stumble, my foot somehow getting caught in the gate. My leg burns, I thought it had gotten better. I bite my lip to prevent myself from crying out, and force back the tears. Oscar runs over – he's noticed I've fallen. Oh, no, please, please, please just go away.

"They're gonna be back soon, please just go away," I said.

"C'mon, kid, we've gotta showsome amount of human decency to you, don't we? We still owe you from before." Oscar holds out his hand after untangling my foot from the bars.

"Oscar, I can do it, just go!" I push. The newsies can't see either of the Delanceys helping me or I won't be able to stay.

"Don't worry, we have a plan. Just make sure you land on yourother foot, yeah?"

I mutter my agreement, I don't have time to argue – they're coming around. When Morris realises what's happening, he runs in front of the other Newsies.

"Hey Morris, come have a look at this! We got another crip."

"Oh yeah? What's wrong with the new kid?"

"He's got a gimp leg, and better yet, he can't talk back to us!" Although Oscar is smirking, I can see the apology in his eyes. It's okay, I try to tell him, it's for the best.

He pushes me. Hard. I'm expecting it, but my body still can't recover from the shock fast enough.

Yes, I land on my left foot. And yes, that is the wrong foot. I see him move towards me, but he realises that the game would be up if he did. He forces himself past me, towards where Weasel is selling the papes for the newsies.

Everyone walks past me, which I'm thankful for. I'm not sure I'm ready to explain myself just yet.

"Papes for the newsies, line up!" I hear Weasel yell. I manage to get up and hop my way over to the line. I feel for the two quarters in my pocket, wondering if I should spend them both now.