O2: closure. [eli clark]

cw: none
word count: 638
genre: angst, the one-sided love type of angst
notes: hey remember gertrude?
this is more of a drabble than a full oneshot like i did with aesop though, so it's gonna be short-
i'll make a longer one soon, maybe something platonic, who knows~

━━━━━━━━┓ 🦉 ┏━━━━━━━━

This wasn't right.

You knew he already had a fiancée. You knew that he loved her more than anything in the world. Hell, he even came to this manor for her. You knew that he'd lay down his life for her.

So why?

Why do you find yourself wanting to be with him? It wasn't going to happen, yet you still find yourself longing for his touch. For his embrace. For the feeling of his lips on yours.

It wasn't fair. 

You let yourself entertain thoughts of Gertrude not truly loving Eli, though you knew that couldn't be right. Gertrude is Eli's fiancée, and it was clear that he held her dear to him. From the way he had described Gertrude, you thought yourself that she was a delight to be with. She sounded like a nice person.

It hurts.

These feelings of yours kept eating away at you, oftentimes messing with your head, resulting in you messing up so many times in matches. Emily had asked you if you were feeling well, though you brushed her off every time.

Was there something wrong with you? Why are you feeling these things for Eli? He was just a seer, was he not?

No. You knew he was far more than that. Eli Clark was a gentle man who spoke in a low voice. He was there to comfort those who needed it. He was there to protect the others. He was a friend to everyone, basically.

It was unfortunate that you saw him as someone more than a friend. Naib had known and had been telling you to forget about it, and to focus on getting better in matches. Of course, you tried that but it was to no avail. The feelings simply stayed and as time passed, it grew stronger.

It was about time to get closure on it. It took you a lot of courage, but you knew it had to be done. You mustered up your courage, and asked Eli to meet you in the garden after his match ended. He accepted, and you walked off.

You sat on the bench, and waited with bated breath.

Eli showed up, and you immediately faced him.

"Ah, (name)," Eli said, slightly surprised at how serious you looked at the moment. "Er, what did you want to talk about..?"

"Listen, Eli," You started, tears already threatening to fall. "I know that it isn't right, I know that you wouldn't feel the same way, but I need the closure to finally stop these.. these feelings. They're tearing me down inside-out, so listen to me, okay?"

The seer looked as if he wanted to say something, but he stayed silent, and nodded to show you he was listening.

"Eli Clark, I love you. I love you so much that it hurts. I know that it isn't right. I know that you already love someone else... but please, give me some form of closure to this. I can't take it anymore."

The tears you fought back had been flowing freely now. Eli, at a loss of words, gently enveloped you in a warm hug.

"I'm sorry," He said in a low whisper. "I love you too, (name), but not in the way you love me. I already found the one I want to be with."

"I know," You muttered, a bitter edge to your tone. You hugged him tightly, not wanting to let go. You eventually had to let him go, as not only did Eli have another match, but you were afraid that the closure would've been for nothing.

As you watched him walk away, you laughed bitterly. It was fated for him to reject you, but deep down in your heart, you were reaching for that tiny glimmer of hope that Eli would return your feelings.

How foolish of you.