Chapter 1: A Fairytale Falls Apart

Once upon a time in ancient Japan, a samurai named Yellow Diamond was drafted to assassinate Blue Diamond. She was a princess from another kingdom that Yellow's emperor disdained with a passion. If the young princess was slayed, her parents would fall into deep depression so that it would lead to self-destruction. That way, Yellow's emperor could conquer the ruined Kaiyo Kingdom in one fell swoop.

The samurai was preparing a sneak attack with his katanas at the ready when out walked the very princess he supposed to strike down. Yellow felt his defenses drop as his eyes met Blue's. All time seemed to have stopped and the whole world faded away except for that one princess.

She had dazzling ice blue eyes, long pale blue hair, and skin white as snow. Her kimono was sky blue with soft pink cherry blossoms.

Yellow could feel his heart thundering like a drum under his armor. His knees were close to buckling and his katanas were slipping from his sweaty palms.

"Who are you?" Blue asked.

"I'm Yellow Diamond." the samurai stammered. "I'm from the Kazan Kingdom. My emperor assigned me to kill you."

"Then, why haven't you done that already?" the princess questioned.

"I don't know." Yellow answered. "I just can't bring myself to do it."

"Well, what would you like to do instead?" said Blue.

The warrior didn't know what to say. No one had ever asked him a question like that before. He had devoted his whole life to those who gave him orders and never considered thinking about what he wanted.

After a bit pondering, Yellow finally responded; "I would actually like to get to know you better."

Now, the Kaiyo and Kazan Kingdoms have been bitter enemies for years, but there was no such enmity that existed between the princess and the samurai at that moment.

"You're certainly the most amusing assassin I've ever met." Princess Blue giggled.

Not long after that night, Yellow Diamond did something rare for a soldier. He renounced his status as a samurai and loyalty to the Kazan Kingdom. The man gave up everything just to be with the princess who should've been dead by now.

After being together for a few years, Yellow and Princess Blue realized that they loved each other, deeply. In fact, the former samurai had even mustered up the courage to propose to the beautiful princess. And he did it with a cherry pit of all things.

"Princess Blue Diamond, will you marry me?" Yellow asked, presenting the seed in the palm of his hand.

"A cherry pit?" Blue said, feeling perplexed. "Well, I was not expecting that."

"I know it's an odd gesture, but let me explain." her beloved told her. "I want us to plant this seed together. That way, the tree that grows from it will be a symbol of our love for each other and for the children we'll soon have."

"That's so touching." the princess spoke, feeling moved. "And yes, I will marry you."

The engaged couple shared a kiss and planted the cherry pit in the ground at the edge of the royal garden.

They were married the following spring and that little seed had already grown into a sapling. And now, some people in the Kaiyo Kingdom say that this tree had the magical power of answering prayers or granting wishes.

The married couple (who were now emperor and empress) were the ones who introduced the rumor. It stemmed back to when Empress Blue asked the cherry tree to bless her and her husband with a baby since they had no children. Within a month prior to that prayer, the news of the empress being pregnant rang throughout the kingdom.

More months passed and soon, the firstborn of Emperor Yellow and Empress Blue had graced the world. It was a lovely daughter of ocean blue hair and royal blue eyes. She was given the name, Lapis Lazuli. But as perfect as everything was right now, those times were about to come to an end.

Meanwhile in the Kazan Kingdom, the emperor learned that his best samurai had abandoned him and he been angry ever since. Now, he was going to exact his revenge.

His plan was to kill Yellow and the empress' family and take Blue back with him as a concubine. However, the Kazan emperor was not aware if his former samurai had any children or not. Lapis would be an immediate target if she was discovered.

Late that night, the royal couple was woken from their slumber by a crashing sound and a terrified shriek. When they went to see what all the commotion was about, they found the bodies of Blue's parents lying dead on the floor. The empress cried out in horror. It was tragic and deplorable sight. Shadowing over the corpses was the killer responsible: the emperor of the Kazan Kingdom.

"It's been a long time, Yellow." the enemy smirked wickedly.

"You?" Yellow was in complete shock. "Why are you doing this?!"

"Because you defected from my court." the emperor answered bitterly. "And for that, I frown upon you!"

Just then, the faint sound of a baby crying echoed through the palace; much to the dismay of the parents. A twisted grin formed on the Kazan emperor's face.

"Hmm, that wouldn't happen to be your child crying." he said slyly. "Would it, Yellow?"

"You stay away from her or so help me, I will-" Yellow tried to stop him, but he and his wife were surrounded by a pair of Kazan goons.

"Keep an eye on these two until I get back." their leader ordered as he brandished a sickle. "I've got a bloodline to end."

As he ran off, Blue lamented, "That lunatic is going to kill our baby!"

"No, he's not." the Kaiyo emperor disagreed, wielding his katanas.

The Kazan followers were completely shocked.

"You never got rid of your swords?" the empress questioned.

"You never know when you might need them." Yellow said smugly.

The former samurai used his weapons to easily take down the two captors. Then, he motioned his wife to follow him as they rushed to rescue baby Lapis.

Meanwhile, the emperor of Kazan snuck into the room where the newborn princess was crying from. He was preparing to bring his choice instrument of death down on the baby girl when her father's swords stopped him.

"Get away from my daughter!" Yellow snarled at his former emperor.

The two of them dueled and in midst of the battle, the killer secretly had a dagger in his free hand and used it to stab his traitor samurai in the back. The maneuver was fatal and Yellow Diamond's dead body dropped to his knees and fell on the floor.

"YELLOW!" the empress practically shrieked.

The infant princess cried even louder.

"You poor child." the Kazan emperor said with fake pity. "Allow me to put you out of your misery."

He raised his weapon, ready to finish the job. But instead of the sickle striking Lapis, an aura of green energy violently emanating from the little baby's body and hit her assailant hard.

The nasty killer then felt his body shrivel away into dust, leaving only his clothes and weapon behind.

Empress Blue was bewildered by what she had just witnessed.

The other Kazans were driven out of the Kaiyo kingdom. But, a shadow had now fallen over the royal palace. Blue's parents were gone and her husband had been murdered. She was deep in a stupor of grief when the babyish sounds of her daughter snapped her out of it. The empress had almost forgotten that Lapis was still alive. She was the only family member that Blue Diamond had left. And now, she was going to make sure that no agent of death would ever take her child away.