Chapter 3: A Message for Marriage?

One thing on her daily schedules that Lapis disliked the most was meeting with the noblemen who lived in or near the Kaiyo Kingdom. They all came in hopes of winning the girl's hand in marriage. It was annoying because the princess wasn't looking for a man to marry, but her mother never listened. Everytime a nobleman would attempt to court her, Lapis would always reject him. The empress was not pleased.

One day, Empress Blue Diamond had requested her handmaidens to bring her daughter to her throne room. She had received an important letter that she just needed to share with the princess.

"Thank you for bringing my daughter here, ladies." Blue told her servants.

"It is always a pleasure to the royal family, Your Excellency." one handmaiden said as they all bowed before the empress.

And assuming that this was a private matter, they left Lapis and her mother alone.

"Lapis, I have some wonderful news." the empress beamed.

"What is it?"

her daughter raised an eyebrow. Usually, Lapis' idea of good news and Blue's idea of good news were radically different.

"I just received a message from the emperor of the Yama Kingdom." the Kaiyo ruler explained, holding a scroll.

"The Yama Kingdom?" the princess echoed.

Maybe she missed something in one of her geography lessons, but her tutor had never taught her anything about this Kingdom of Yama.

"Yes." her mother nodded. "The emperor of Yama has informed me that his son is requesting your hand in marriage."

"What?" Lapis chuckled. "Is this some kind of joke?"

"Read it for yourself." Empress Blue handed the scroll to her daughter for her to look over:

Empress Blue Diamond of the Kaiyo Kingdom,

I deliver exciting news. My son Dolomite has heard word of your beautiful daughter Princess Lapis Lazuli from visiting noblemen. He's been absorbed in her ever since, which is why he's asking to marry your daughter. I believe the union of our children will promise a prosperous congregation of our two kingdoms. Yama is well-known for its structured fortifications so I can promise we will Princess Lapis as well as you have.

May the gods smile on you,

Emperor Unakite of the Yama Kingdom

There was no denying what was written in front of her.

"You're marrying me off to a prince I've never even met without consulting me?" Lapis inquired, a temper starting to build up.

"I knew you would say no." her mother replied. "You've turned down every nobleman that's tried to court you. And I'm running out of patience."

"That's because I don't want to marry a man that you bring in." the princess explained. "I want to a man that I've known for a long time. Somebody who I love and who loves me."

"This is about what's best for our kingdom, not your heart's desire." Blue Diamond said sternly. "Now, we only have a week to get ready for the royal wedding."

"A week!?" Lapis raised her voice. "Am I really marrying somebody that soon?"

"Yes, Prince Dolomite is already on his way." the empress answered. "I would like you to be ready to marry him upon his arrival."

The young princess became very frustrated and proceeded to leave the throne room.