Chapter-1

'Murder in Arona' was the headlines of the probably all newspapers out in the city after that incident, filling people's hearts with fear, and obviously who wouldn't be scared, not knowing who's the next target, who's blood is going to be shed and who death is going to greet. It all started with just a normal day....

It was a beautiful day in the city of Arona. With the birds chirping, the sun shining bright and the leaves rustling it was just another normal day for the people there, but not for the Smith's, an ordinary middle class family.

It was an ill-omen day for the family as they lost their son Richard. Their once happy and complete family was now shattered into pieces, pieces they won't be able to ever put together.

Not only they were mourning the death of their only child but also they were dumb-founded by the fact that somebody was so ruthless to murder their son.

The Smith's had filed a police report complaining that their 25 year old son had gone out in the morning to run errands and never returned. Police tried searching for him, but in vain.

All they found was a dead body in a small abandoned warehouse three days later, which on identification was found to be Richard's.

Past few days have been a living mess for the entire Smith family, but the most intensely affected were Veronica and her husband David. They were spending restless nights in their house not having a single clue about their lost son.

All they could do was hope.

It was around noon, the next day when a knock at the door disturbed the silence of the house. Veronica scurried to the door with her husband closely behind, hoping it would be their son Richard or the police bringing some news about him.

Unfortunately it was the latter standing at their doorstep, and the expression he held told them that something was wrong, terribly wrong.

"Mr and Mrs Smith?"

"Ya that's us." She said a bit breathless, her eyes curious.

"Officer, is there any news about my son,did you find him?" She desperately inquired about him.

"Uh-h, ya I came here for that. I'm sorry but the news is really unfortunate."

They had a slight idea of what the news might be about, but neither of them had the heart to hear it. The anxiety of sorrow would continuously harass them.

"Is it about my son?"  Veronica questioned her voice quivering. She was trying to stay positive, but somewhere in the back of her head were a few outcomes which scared her existence.

"I came here to inform you about that. We are really sorry about this, but we found your son's dead body in a warehouse." he said.

"No..." I whispered to myself, completely devastated inside. My biggest fear came to life. His words, pierced my heart, and I felt I would bleed to death.

"How? That's not true."

"I'm really sorry for your loss, Sir. He was murdered."

It felt like the world around them was spinning, Veronica's knees gave out and  she fell to the floor crying her eyes out. David just stood there thunderstruck not being able to digest the news, with tears slowly flowing down his cheeks.

(Officer Copper's POV)

I felt bad telling them the news, and I know they are devastated by it but I really couldn't help it. Losing someone who you loved is a traumatic experience, but one cannot change that and needs to live with it.

*Flashback*

" I feel like I might get a promotion this year," I said.

"Oh really..and why is that?" said Officer Sophie, a forensic expert, with big brown eyes and chiseled hair usually tied in a bun.