Chapter 35

I excused myself for the bathroom shortly after. Both as an excuse and out of necessity. I needed time to process everything Merlin had just confessed.

The thought that the sins' stories were so interlaced with each other surprised me even though it shouldn't have. It made sense that they would have a connection. Something that tied them together and gave them a common goal.

Get rid of XGEN.

Of course, that didn't make processing it any easier.

I washed my hands, splashed water on my face, and then stared hard at my reflection in the mirror. I'm not sure that I'd ever seen myself look so exhausted; dark circles barely concealed under borrowed make-up, pale complexion, a tremble in my fingers as they clutched the sink like a life-line. The image made me snort with a soft chuckle.

Leave it to the sins to make it look like I hadn't slept in weeks.

Though, I suppose that was true about this week. Sleep never really came easily after hearing a sins' story. Leaving me restless through the night.

I sympathized with them. Truly. More than feeling sorry for them, I hated that they'd all been let down by people just like me.

And it was getting harder and harder for me to ignore the cries for justice.

A heavy sigh left my lips as I pushed away from the counter, slapping my cheeks to bring some color and vigor back to my face. Pushing the heavy sense of foreboding and guilt to the back of my mind until later where I could address it in private.

I couldn't stay there, locked in the bathroom forever. I had no idea what else to say to Merlin - if she was even there - but I couldn't hide any longer.

I left the bathroom, coming around the corner to look for Merlin and stopped short.

Merlin wasn't the only one sitting in the bar anymore.

It was weird seeing everyone in the same place like this, filling up seats in the bar, looking back at me as I entered. Even Elaine and Hawk with his giant plush pig were in the tavern now, watching me as I looked back at all of them.

My teeth sunk into my bottom lip as I glanced from face to face. "What's... going on? Did I miss a meeting invitation?" I asked, unsure.

There was a palpable tension in the air around everyone. They were waiting for something. And the anticipation was heavy.

I finally entered the bar area and was stopped by Meliodas' soft chuckle, "It's your initiation. Should you choose to accept it."

My brow furrowed as I turned a confused look on him.

"I told you, didn't I?" Meliodas hopped down from where he sat on the bar's counter, taking slow steps towards me as he continued to speak, "You know why we're all here now. You've heard all the stories. So, that just leaves one question - are you in or out?"

He stopped a few feet away from me, acting as a barrier - a gatekeeper between me and the others. Waiting for my answer to either welcome me or cast me out.

I'd been anticipating this, of course, but I hadn't expected the confrontation to come so soon. I'd just learned Merlin's story. And I hadn't exactly given my situation here the thought a decision like this deserved.

Maybe that was the point.

Given too much time, I would be able to rationalize one side or the other. Springing the decision on me almost guaranteed an honest answer since it would be a gut reaction. No time to scheme. No time to dawdle and flip-flop on my stance.