Smile

A/N: This is based off of the light novel "One-Winged Butterfly". But you can still read this if you haven't read the light novel lol. It's basically Oyakata-sama ordering them to try to make Giyuu smile again. Also....let's just pretend Shinobu's plans to sacrifice herself don't exist in this oneshot-;-;.

"Forgive me for this Oyakata-sama, but again? You want us to try to make that brooding loner smile again? After what happened last time?" Sanemi asked, obviously opposing the idea.

Ubayashiki smiled peacefully, causing the Wind Pillar to immediately bow his head in guilt. "I apologize for troubling you all for such a trivial task, but I feel that, if Giyuu opens up to at least one of the Hashira, he will finally be able to forgive himself for the events of his past." His unseeing gaze roams the area in front of him, where he knows his Hashira kneel. "I trust you all have a better understanding of his character now?"

"Yes, Oyakata-sama. Forgive the rude words, but my view of Tomioka has changed. I used to believe he was merely an annoying loner, but now I understand that he's simply an uncaring bastard." Iguro hissed the last words, seeming to remember his anger at the Water Pillar for making Mitsuri feel upset.

Shinobu sighed and opened her mouth, hoping to get her fellow pillars to properly understand their task this time. "Everyone, if you would allow me to speak for a minute with no interruptions,"

It was not a question. Out of respect - or even fear - of the Insect Pillar, even Shinazugawa was silent.

It had been a good move to speak when the others were mostly calm.

"With all due respect," She began, then paused, searching through her mind for ways to express her thoughts politely. "You seem to be misinterpreting Oyakata-sama's orders."

"Huh?" Sanemi growled.

Shinobu cheerfully ignored his angry aura, even daring to reprimand him for speaking when he'd agreed to be quiet. Accepting that he would not be able to frighten her, Sanemi shut his mouth.

The other Pillar's respect for the small woman increased by a large margin.

"I believe Oyakata-sama intends for us to learn to express concern for Tomioka-san. Currently, most of us don't get along very well with him, and don't understand him well. If we are able to see him smile, we will be able to show more understanding towards him and improve our overall dynamic as Hashira." She continued to explain.

Ubayashiki nodded his head sagely. "You've phrased it perfectly. Thank you, Shinobu. I did not realize that I had given my orders in such a roundabout way."

Jealousy radiated off of the Wind Pillar. Again, Shinobu paid him no mind.

"Um," Mitsuri raised her hand.

"What is it, Mitsuri?" Ubayashiki asked calmly, his silky black hair blown in the wind.

"How long do we have to complete this task?" She squeaked nervously.

"Hopefully, you'll be able to take the first step within the next two days?" Ubayashiki asked. "I do not want you to rush too much, though."

"That won't be a problem, Oyakata-sama." Sanemi certified, polite as can be, the complete opposite of how he had sounded just two minutes ago.

The meeting ended, and the Pillars - save for Tomioka - gathered in a meeting room to discuss.

Sanemi opened his mouth as soon as they stepped into the room. "Since Kocho seems to be the closest with him of all of us, how about we use her as part of our plan, instead of one of us with a bad relationship with Tomioka?" Even though he said it like a question, there was an undercurrent of menace in his voice that caused the Love Pillar to both squeal in admiration and shiver in fright.

The others all let out grunts of confirmation, and Rengoku enthusiastically praised Shinazugawa for his "genius" idea. Sanemi growled in displeasure at the praise.

"Wait, why me?" Shinobu moaned.

"Shinobu, I'm sorry, but you're our only hope right now! We all tried our best last time, but none of us ended up with good results." Mitsuri apologized frantically.

Shinobu pitied the poor girl - knowing that she couldn't make her comrade smile was probably a source of great upset for the Love Pillar who loved to socialize.

"Hey, hey, you don't need to worry too much. If you end up going somewhere outside of the Estate, some of us will follow you both to make sure everything is going well." Sanemi confirmed. He thought of Shinobu of a little sister of some sort, since he was romantically involved with her late elder sister, and he didn't trust Tomioka around her.

"You're Kanroji's friend, and Kanroji would be sad if something happened to you, so I'll kill Tomioka if he tries anything." Iguro asserted. He probably meant this piece of news to be comforting, but other than Mitsuri, who was blushing like someone had lit a fire inside her cheeks, everyone noticeably backed away from the Snake Pillar.

"Uh...thank you, but that's not really what I was worried about." Shinobu laughed awkwardly. Her fellow Pillars were really too much.

"So what's the plan? It better be flamboyant as hell, we can't let Oyakata-sama down again!" The gems embedded in Uzui's bandana shone almost blindingly in the sunlight.

Shinobu tried to suppress her indignation at being treated as the other Pillar's scapegoat. "Well, perhaps I could just treat him to salmon daikon. I'll just invite him before he's had a chance to eat lunch." She suggested.

"That's a good idea!" Rengoku approved. "Your wits are as impressive as your swordsmanship, Kocho!" He complimented, earning a smile from the Insect Pillar.

"Yes, that should work." Gyomei finally spoke as all the Hashira turned in his direction. "But I have a suggestion. As I remember, Shinobu," He calls her the way he used to call her as a child by accident as he recalls the time when they lived together as a strange kind of family. "You were an excellent cook. Wouldn't it be more likely to bring a smile to his face if you made the salmon daikon yourself?"

"Himejima-san!" The exclamation burst from her lips before she had time to calm herself. The Stone Pillar smiles, reassured that her personality hasn't entirely vanished. "I can't do that! I mean- I have work to do, and there will be other people in my Estate. Not to mention it would be-" She stopped in the middle of her sentence and took a moment to get over her pride before continuing. "-weird. I'm not the type of person to cook for someone whom I barely know."

"I'd say you know Tomioka better than most people, Kocho." Iguro pointed out.

Shinobu gave herself a mental pep talk to calm herself enough not to glare at her comrade before she opened her eyes and sighed. Thankfully, none of her other coworkers noticed her slip-up.

"Fine." She forced herself to give in. "And whomever wants to can follow us. It shouldn't be too hard. I plan to use the kitchen, which has quite a lot of functional hiding places inside."

"This'll be interesting. Yes, very flamboyant!" Uzui was clearly interested in spying on them.

Iguro turned to Mitsuri, who was clearly planning to go. "Seeing as Tomioka smiling is rarer than a lunar eclipse, I can understand why you want to go, Kanroji." He grumbled, letting the rest of them know that Kanroji could come along without the risk of Iguro ripping Tomioka into little pieces of socially awkward flesh.

Oh dear, oh dear, what had she gotten herself into, was among the many thoughts bouncing around inside Kocho Shinobu's head.

A/N: Second part coming soon! :)