Dancing In The Moonlight

Silk fabric swirls and shoes tap against the floor as couples twirl around the town square, content in each other's arms, humming to the music that some locals play, comfortable in a special area set aside just for them, watching their friends and family with the shine of joy in their eyes.

Shinobu's fingers are warm around his wrist as she weaves carefully through the crowd, careful not to bump into any of the happy civilians. She keeps to the shadows and turns her face away from the men dancing in the square, her footsteps silent on the cold ground. She doesn't want to be noticed, for it will surely lead to unwanted attention.

Giyuu watches the civilians dance, the smiles on their faces as they spin in their beloved's embrace. It looks nice, is what he thinks. He wonders if he would smile if he danced with someone too. His mind wanders, feet automatically carrying him behind Shinobu. If he did dance, who would he dance with?

His deep blue eyes immediately fall upon the woman in front of him, leading the way. Kocho, he decided. If he danced, it would be with Kocho. He imagined her hair flowing in the breeze as she twirled, graceful as the butterfly she so resembled. Giyuu shook his head, frowning at himself. He shouldn't be thinking about his colleague in such a way.

---

"Caw! Caw! Tomioka Giyuu and Kocho Shinobu are to wait here for Kamado Tanjirou, Agatsuma Zenitsu and Hashibira Inosuke! Further instructions will be given when they find you!" Shinobu's crow screeched, flapping in circles above their heads. Giyuu's crow perched on a branch nearby, half asleep, nuzzling its beak into its chest cutely.

"Ara," Shinobu sighed. "But we're in the middle of nowhere. And it's started to snow." She observed as a couple wet flakes landed in her hair. "Oh well,"

They sat down on a fallen log and began their wait, breath coming out in little white puffs. A gust of frigid wind blew through the trees and Giyuu couldn't help but shiver. Beside him, he noticed Shinobu did the same. They should move around the clearing to keep warm. The image of couples dancing in that village popped into his head, and before he could even understand what he was doing, he was standing in front of her, hand outstretched in her direction.

She stared at him, tiny flakes of snow caught in her long eyelashes, amethyst eyes sparkling in the few rays of sunlight that penetrated the trees. She was beautiful. His brain short-circuited.

He just stared back at her, hand still outstretched, probably looking like an utter fool.

A sound like wind chimes and the flapping of butterfly wings that Giyuu was absolutely sure had come straight from the heavens themselves rang in his ears. It took him a long moment to realize that it was the sound of her laughter.

"Do you want to dance with me, Tomioka-san?" Shinobu asked lightly in that goddess-like voice of hers.

It was a miracle she had understood what he was trying to say. Still, the chance that she would agree to dance with a fool like him was slim. Before he could stop himself, he nodded, turning an uncharacteristically bashful glance away from her and fixing his gaze on a tree that stood on the other side of the clearing.

She laughed again, although it didn't sound like she was mocking him, his ears flushed red.

Her fingers were so warm, and so gentle, as she took his hand. He forgot to breathe for a second when he saw their fingers, tangled together so naturally, fitting so perfectly together. He stood there, too nervous to move, unsure of what to do for a breathless few seconds, before she began to giggle.

"Hmm, what do you say we take off our haoris first?" She suggested, noticing how both their haoris covered their joined hands and made it harder to read each other's movements.

The instant they let go to shrug off their haoris and drape them carefully over a tree branch made his hand feel frozen and numb. Seemingly a last-minute decision, Shinobu reached up and unfastened her butterfly pin, letting her soft black-to-purple hair flow down to her collarbone. Giyuu could feel himself blushing, although he doesn't have much reason to. All she did was let her hair down, but the action felt so intimate for some reason. Maybe it's because he'd never seen her with her hair down before. The thought of her being there with Rengoku or Shinazugawa or someone else suddenly pops into his head, and he swallows his saliva, silencing his internal turmoil at the vision.

They stand again in the same position they were in before, silent for a matter of only a few seconds before Shinobu began to giggle. "You don't know how to dance, do you, Tomioka-san?" She asks, eyes dancing with amusement.

A flush creeps up the back of his neck and he shakes his head, embarrassed.

"That's fine," She murmurs calmly, reaching out to take Giyuu's other hand in hers. "I would have lead us anyway." She looks up at him teasingly as she guides his hand to her waist.

Giyuu's heartbeat increases more than it probably should when his hand meets the curve of her side. He knows his face is probably bright red by now, in part due to the heat of his cheeks and also because of the distinct quirk of her lips that indicates mirth. She's addicting. Everything about her is intoxicating him.

Slowly, gracefully, she begins to guide him, clearly leading every movement he makes. They spin peacefully around the magical snowy clearing, the white flakes on the ground, in the trees, in their hair and eyelashes, in everything around them, glowing like many small diamonds.

Here in these silent woods, dancing to the sound of the wind and their own faint heartbeats, they aren't Demon Slayers.

He isn't Tsutako's brother, Sabito's friend, or the Water Pillar. He is Giyuu. Only Giyuu.

She isn't her parent's daughter, Kanae's sister, or the Insect Pillar. She is Shinobu. Only Shinobu.

No one exists in this little world but them, dancing in the moonlight to the sound of the wind.

Outside of this mystical fantasy both Pillars are trapped within, three figures crouch behind the bushes, the maroon-haired boy covering the mouths of his companions so as not to disturb the tender moment, utterly silent in his shock.

A/N: Okieee, here's another oneshot. In case you haven't noticed yet, I believe Giyuu is definitely a bottom, and Shinobu is definitely a top. There are many reasons for this, so if you want to request any GiyuShino oneshots in the comments, know that I'll always make Shinobu the dominant one and Giyuu submissive. I hope you enjoyed reading! :)