That one walk home from school

Relief hits as soon as I hear that last bell ring in the hallways at school. I pack my books in my bag as adrenalin rushes through my veins, I cant wait to sit down in front of the log fire reading my favourite book, there truly is nothing I like more than to head back home after staying at this hell hole of a place. My own footsteps dragged me out as quickly as possible. The scent of sweet homemade pastries and bread baked fresh from the bakeries flooded the old cobbled street as soon as I stepped outside.

Examining the ancient buildings alongside the dimly lit pavements, it's almost as if I can hear someone. But someone calling my name in no much more than a faint whisper. My eyes dart around me as if I'm trying to get any notice from anyone to let me know i'm not crazy or something. Nope. Just me. Alone. Again. I sigh. Not of relief, but of remembrance. Remembering the loneliness in the boring old life of Carina.

Brushing off what just occurred in my head, I continue to head home. I wouldn't call my home huge, but we get by. I live with my brother Oliver and my mum and dad.

Our house is rather big for a cottage, flowers and vines that creep all over the stone walls. I get rather fascinated by the small things in life, sometimes I think people take things in life for granted. I guess that's why i don't have many friends. As I see life for what it is. Beautiful. And not for just this ground and dirt we walk upon on every day but the life that Earth carries, the mother nature surrounding us everywhere we go. If anything I would call it magical. There is no way in hell that I would ever say this to anyone. I've got enough people thinking I'm weird, i don't need anymore. So i guess it's just me and my thoughts.

"Carina..... Carina....."

Okay i'm almost certain i can hear what i think i could hear. My eyes search along the pavements and up the crooked buildings. Nothing. No one. I could've sworn i heard.... never mind i guess.

As I continue my journey home, i caught a glimpse of something from the corner of my eye. My eyes are almost instantly drawn to the streetlamp at the corner of the street, next to a cold, empty alleyway. I pick up my pace as paranoia starts to grow inside of me, yet i have a sense of curiosity filling my veins. 'No. No. No Carina.' continuously repeats through my head to stop me from going.

This village is relatively safe, nothing really happens here, i guess it's all of these horror stories i read making me think otherwise. Shaking my head clear of thoughts, i deeply inhale the scent of a burning log fire escaping through a chimney. Home. I never even realised i walked this far. I cant wait to have a steaming cup of tea and talk to my brother Oliver about my day. Oliver is 17, 2 years older than me, a tall dark-brown haired boy with big brown eyes, carrying my fathers genes. For me, i've got my mothers genes, long wavy light brown hair that flows past my hip bones with bright green eyes but with a large patch of brown from my fathers side on my right eye. I've always admired that about myself. Makes me feel like i'm unique. I hate the feeling of normality. Like what's the point if you are just a replica of someone else? Living to someone else's expectations.

Lifting the batten down wood hatch from the gate at front of my house, i realise my mum and dads car parked in the garage. I thought they were away for work for another 3 days. I guess they must've changed plans. I make my way to reach my hand for the black painted doorknob but it twists. My mother opens the door swiftly almost pulling me in the house as soon as she saw me. Peaking around the corner as if she's trying to look for something.

She hasn't spoke to me of even properly looking me in the eyes. She just grabs me by the wrist making me follow her to the lounge. My eyes dart around the room until they reach my mother as i wait for an explanation for all this hurry. All she does is gestures me to sit down on the brown and gold arm chair resting in front of the log fire. At least there's a cup of steaming tea on the side so i make my way to sit down.

I can almost feel like they are about to have a long, long, long conversation with me. But what about? It's not like i've done anything wrong. I'm top of the class for each subject at school. And it's not like anyone is friends with me for me to get up to something.