Chapter 1: start of something new

{word count: 2310}

It was a slow day on Nevarro, though that wasn't saying much. You never made a lot of credits being a street vendor, but it was the 'family business' and you wanted your mother to be happy, it was her dying wish so this is what you got. You'd always dreamed of getting out of this town, ending this routine that you could never seem to break. You wanted to see the galaxy, and you kept telling yourself that you would as soon as you had enough credits. But with your moms declining health and recent death, and the slow business on Nevarro, your dream was repeatedly pushed to the back of your mind for 28 years.

You glanced around at the town you called home. The sun beat down on you, but the golden white glow wasn't calming or serene. instead of a warm regal tone, it gave the worn streets and cracked buildings a lifeless aura, the already grey stone seeming even paler in the suns rays. your worn grey pants and light white tunic fit right in with the town around you. bleak and boring, the only color coming from the many booths set up around the edges of the streets. your boots crunched on the rocky ground as you walked over the re-fold a shirt that a rodian had picked up to inspect before deciding it wasn't for them and walking away.

you thought back to your mom. you missed her dearly. even though it had been 8 months since she died, and even though you knew it was coming, it didn't make it any easier when she passed. your dad was out a lot of days now, not that you were close to him in the first place. if you were being honest, you hardly noticed his absence, and it made you feel slightly guilty. you two had never been close, but you knew he loved your mom, and you can't imagine how he must feel losing the love of his life. you wondered if they were soulmates, you liked to think they were. you had always been a bit of a hopeless romantic, though some kids would tease you about it in school. you always dreamed of meeting your own soulmate, someone who you could feel safe with, who made you feel loved and cared for. as you got older, you realized how stupid it sounded, but you always held on to that dream nonetheless, pushing it back next to the one of seeing the stars.

The clinking of his boots and glint of the sun off his helmet captured your attention. The Mandalorian, you realized, and he had... a child? The stories you've heard of the Mandalorians consisted of them being ruthless, cold blooded killers who were really good at.. well, killing. Seeing a kid with one looked out of place next to the man who's aura screamed danger and darkness. You kept yourself busy while he walked by anyways, he already got enough attention as it was. You only stoped your fake tasks after he had walked by and a customer came up to your booth. They grabbed a hair piece and looked at it before handing you 3 credits and walking away. it was supposed to be 5 credits.
"um excuse me!"
but they were too far to hear you, or at least that's what you told yourself. you sighed and put your head in your hands. today was going to be a long day.

~•~•~

The Mandalorian passed you three times the rest of the day.

The first occurred about 2 hours ago, with him covered in shiny new armor and no kid in sight. You figured it was a bounty, but you couldn't shake off the anger you felt at the Mandalorian for turning it in. it was a child for christ's sake. what could it have done? you knew something weird was happening here, but the guild and bounty hunting wasn't your business. you knew their policy well enough, though. 'no questions asked'

The second occurred a little bit after that. You were eating a little snack during a break when the same foot falls you'd become so good at picking up were able to be heard. He seemed to be walking back into town. for what? you had no idea, but when you heard a loud explosion after the sun had set, you had a feeling he was the cause of it.

And the third, was a few minutes ago. He walked back looking the same as he had an hour ago, but now he had a bundle in his arms. After closer inspection you realized it was the kid.
he came back for it
But something was telling you he wouldn't be able to make it out of here so easily, and the beeping that started to echo in the street furthered that fear.
tracking fobs you realized. After quickly grabbing a blaster your mom gave you just in case, you crept closer to where others were headed.