Chapter One

Patton hummed as he stirred the pot of soup on the burner, stood over a little gas stove with one slot that somehow still ran on its old batteries and salvaged butane canisters. The blond haired man was situated on the group's back porch, adding whatever he could to make their food last longer, while also accounting for the taste to hopefully remain palatable. The extra water used to stretch out their meals made them even more bland than they would be originally, which was really saying something when it came to expired, pre-canned soup. Thus, Patton always used fresh ingredients from the garden to his advantage-- crushing cloves of garlic and simmering vegetables before adding them to the pot. Onions, carrots, whatever would add to the flavour instead of making it worse.

The sky above him was clear, sun beating down as a cool breeze rolled over the converted lot. The day was calm and peaceful, as if the world around them didn't happen to be falling apart. But their home had been adapted for long-term survival, and days spent within its expanses created a wonderful illusion of normality.

"Patton?" Logan's voice sounded as he stepped onto the porch, pulling Patton from his trance.

"Hey, Lo. What's up?" he asked, turning to face the other man.

"Virgil and I have checked all the traps, and Roman finished tending the garden for the day. They've asked me to inform you," he said, adjusting the dark blue scarf resting around his neck.

Patton nodded with a smile, "That's great. Did you two find anything?"

"Unfortunately, nothing edible. The trapping pit on the far left of the house caught one of the Infected, however, and we handled it accordingly."

"It wasn't too much trouble, was it?"

"Of course not," Logan waved his hand as if to brush off the thought, "it went fine."

"Oh good! The food's almost ready, so why don't you stay on this trend of being the messenger and let the others know?"

"I can do that, but there's something else I wish to speak with you about as well."

"Hm? And what's that?"

"We're running rather low on supplies again. Though it's apparent you're already aware of this," he noted, gesturing towards the pot of watery soup, "But therefore, we believe it would be best to go out scavenging, sooner rather than later. The cans you used are some of the last, as I'm sure you were also aware. Virgil is also nearly out of his medication, and though it's unlikely we'll find his exact perception, an alternative could at least provide similar benefits."

Patton nodded, stopping the frown that wanted to find its way onto his face, "When do you think would be the best time to go?"

Logan was well aware they needed to leave as soon as possible, but he still didn't enjoy sudden ventures out, as it didn't give them nearly enough time to plan in his opinion. Realistically though, he knew there was no way to plan for such a chaotic world. They had emergency measures set aside for all types of situations, but that was all they could do. They always had to discuss where they were going right before they did it, and this time, over lunch seemed to be the best option. After all, it wouldn't make sense for Logan to disagree now, considering he was the one to bring it up to begin with.

"The others wish to go after lunch, I find the proposal bearable."

"Bearable?" Patton asked, "It doesn't seem like you like the idea very much."

Logan shrugged, "It isn't as if any time would be particularly enjoyable."

"I guess not," he said, looking towards the side of the deck as he heard the others approaching. The two remaining boys were making their way over, with Roman bragging about his so-called natural gift in gardening, and Virgil rolling his eyes and limping along on his damaged ankle.