Chapter 1

Love demands a cost. Life is made up of trails that test all relationships. They can either break people apart or bring them together. Nicholas spakrs says that love requires sacrifice. He couldn't be more right, but... I'm getting ahead of myself. 

June of 2004

Heartbreak is a weighted word. People hardly take in the meaning of the word until they're going through it. Betrayal is the worst heartbreak of all. 

As she lay down, bleeding from blunt force trauma at the hand of her best friend, Thalia felt her chest tighten and a single tear stream down her soft skin. The dirt world around her seemed frigid and lopsided. She must have fallen. Loss of blood must have made her cold. Above her, Serenity's labored gasps could be hear over the waterfall cascading down through the rocks. The spray of water caused the air to be thick with moisture, which flared up Thalia's asthma. Her chest was already screwing up with heartache, so the added effort for each breath burned through her entire stomach. 

Serenity stands with a dirty rock in her hand slightly hunched over where her best friend lies. A small splatter of blood that isn't her covers her face, and beads of sweat are clinging to her forehead. The adrenaline is making her twitch as a reflex. 

Thalia desperately look sup at her for a sign of mercy, but she is dreadfully disappointed. Serenity's once forgiving eyes are now fogged with detachment. There is no trace of emotion. No sadness. No regret. Just a hazy stupor of indifference. 

Thalia's shoulders began to shake. She was letting out small cries of emotion With each one, pain sears through the stitch in her side from the chase. She never was a runner. Everything started to become real. The friendly hike, Hank's murder, and the baby. Oh, the baby. She though, followed by another wave of sadness. Then, the sirens sounded. Finally

Serenity let out a gasp, and her eyes widened in terror. She snapped her sights n on Thalia, and fear bubbled in both of their stomachs. Serenity's eyes were sharp now, assessing. Thalia prepared to stand in a crouching stance, and Serenity flinched in response. Their eyes were boring into each other's. 

"You couldn't possibly have-" Serenity began and was cut off. 

"I did." Thalia said, confirming the call to the police. Serenity's jaw dropped. 

"But they wouldn't possibly think-" Serenity began again. 

"They will." Thalia stated, menacingly confident. She was fully standing now, the presence of the police assuring her: Serenity won't be bothering her family anymore. 

With a solemn expression and defeat evident on her face Serenity dove from the cliff they were standing on. 

Thalia let out a shocked gasp and cupped her hands over her mouth. To her surprise, she felt hot tears streaming down her cold cheeks. Thalia turned with an achy body to the sound of the sirens. Thalia went to get her baby girl.