On the Other Side of 18

Jesse was always the same as the other kids. When he wasn't training with the other boys, he was going on adventures in the village with them. Fighting, practicing marching, and crushing bugs- all things any child would do. They watched the men come and go in their warrior uniforms, arguing over who would become the best when they grew up.

When he turned eighteen, Jesse did what all the others did: he left.

He waved goodbye to everyone- with only a machete and the clothes on his back- and walked into the forest that used to fuel his childhood nightmares. Jesse remembered all of the stories the adults used to tell when a stick cracked. He remembered slaughtered lambs being offered to the spirits of the forest when he heard a growl that had to have been the wind.

Suddenly, Jesse felt that maybe the lambs weren't enough to satisfy the spirits. He felt too many eyes but didn't see a single pair. He heard footsteps, but no one was following him. Jesse couldn't help but look over his shoulder every few steps. He was scared, and all of the bravery he had been taught throughout his life had suddenly vanished.

"Hello?" Jesse called to the air and the trees around him.

A bird took off from a tree, scattering leaves and cracking branches. The thunderous beats of its wings echoed alongside its yelling. The sounds faded until there was once again the quiet from before.

"Hello," a voice said from one of the trees near Jesse.

Jesse jumped and scrambled away. He hid behind a boulder, peeking around it at the trees.

"What are you doing?" the voice asked, this time from right next to him.

Jesse jumped again. Whoever was behind him laughed- not in a malicious way. He spun on them with owlish eyes. Somewhere in his gut he felt a twinge of shame at being so cowardly.

There was a man leaning against the boulder beside him, bright, curious smile painted across his face. Amusement glittered in his eyes as he studied Jesse.

"You're scared of me!" the man laughed.

Jesse glared at him. "Who are you? Why are you in the forest?"

"I'm Dagwood, and this is my home. What's your name?"

"Jesse."

"What are you doing here Jesse?"

Jesse kicked at a stone on the ground. "None of your business."

Dagwood laughed again, and Jesse started to think that was his only emotional response to anything.

"Fine, fine," he said, waving his hand. "Keep your secrets. Maybe I could help you though? You don't seem like you are familiar with this place."

Jesse looked around at the trees and rocks surrounding them. It would be dark soon, and Jesse didn't really want to be alone out here in the night.

"Okay," Jesse agreed. He followed the smiling man deeper into the forest.

Jesse still flinched at every noise, and he still didn't trust the man. He still looked around at everything skeptically. Dagwood didn't flinch at any of the snaps and didn't look when something moved or shifted.

"You can stay with our clan as long as you like," Dagwood said. "My people are always happy to help someone in need."

"I'm not in need," Jesse grumbled, shooting a glare at the back of Dagwood's head.

Dagwood hummed. "How could you not need help out here all alone?"

Jesse didn't respond.

By the time they got to wherever Dagwood was leading them, it was dark. Jesse could hear creatures around them, and his hand rested on the hilt of his machete. His grip tightened with every animal that scurried by.

They ended up in a clearing with tents set up all around it. There were no buildings. People milled about in the darkness; some sat around small fires.

Jesse could hear laughter- so much laughter. He had never seen so many happy people. In his village, everyone was so serious, especially at night. They were always prepared for an attack and there weren't small fires. Their fires were huge and bright- meant to scare monsters away- but this was warm and comfortable.

Dagwood smiled and greeted the other people like they were his friends. No one was friends in Jesse's village. They put up with each other in order to survive- that was it. Jesse followed the man through the crowd and noticed that no one was casting him distrusting looks like his people did with visitors. They just smiled at him and went on. Some even greeted him.

No one was being yelled at by warriors or being shoved back. No one was glaring at him. Everyone acted like his being here was normal. The people were holding light conversations as they walked. There were children laughing and playing together. None were forced to train; the boys and the girls weren't separated. No one was carrying weapons.

Jesse had never seen peace like this.

He was introduced to their chief- Dagwood's aunt. His own people would never have a female leader. The chief was friendly; she told him that he was welcome to stay in their home. If he had nowhere else to go, she said it could become his home too.

After a week- his requirement met- Jesse decided that maybe he wouldn't mind that. He helped them fish in a lake by the village and helped farm. He wasn't forced to train past his limit, and the people here appreciated his help.

Jesse realized that this was the test. It was meant to decide how strong their will was- to test their loyalty. This must have been why so many never returned. This place with all its peace was meant to weed out the weak and peaceful. This was a test that only the best could pass.

Jesse found that he didn't care that he had failed their test. He would be happy to live his days here with these people, friends like Dagwood, and their irresistible peace.