Chapter 12: Checkmate

Popplio's P.O.V.

I keep on running through the swamp, passing trees and muds that were in my way until I arrived to where Litten and Brionne are. I saw them were separated far from each other and they were grabbing hold of the ground while being sucked into the mud.

Popplio: "Uh-oh..."

Brionne: "AAHH!! LET ME GO!!"

Litten: "GRRR!! GET OFF OF ME, YOU STUPID MUD!!"

Popplio: "Ummm... Uhh... Agh forget this!!" *Runs towards Litten*

Litten: "Huh?! POPPLIO!! YOU HAVE TO SAVE BRIONNE!!"

Popplio: "Once I get you out that is!"

Litten: "WHAT?! BUT SHE-"

Popplio: "Hold on!!"

I quickly grab hold of Litten's hands and I start pulling him out of the mud as hard as I can. I took notice the mud that was trying to pull Litten is trying to grab hold of me, so I quickly blast the mud away using Hydro Pump which gave me a big push to pull Litten out of the mud.

Popplio: "Alright! You're saf-"

Litten: "BRIONNE!!"

Popplio: "Huh? Oh no!"

Brionne: "HEEEELP!!!"

The two of us quickly run towards Brionne but we were too late, she got pulled very deep and she sunk down into the mud.

Litten: "NO!! BRIONNE!!"

???: "Hihihi~ Got one~"

Popplio: (That voice!)

I turned around to see where the voice coming from, it was from Zorua and Snivy and they were also turned into ghosts.

Popplio: "Not you guys too..."

Zorua: "Come on~ Join us already~"

Snivy: "It's fun to float around~"

Popplio: *Gulps* "Nope! Come on Litten!"

Litten: "NO!! I HAVE TO SAVE BRIONNE!!!"

I quickly grab Litten's hand and drag him away just in time before the mud can catch us. After we're out of their range, we stops running and pants heavily.

Popplio: "Thank goodness... That was so close..."

Litten: "..."

Popplio: "Come on, we have to-"

Litten: "WHAT GIVES, YOU IDIOT!?"

Popplio: "Excuse me?!"

Litten: "WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO HELP ME?! BRIONNE WAS IN TROUBLE AND YOU LET HER DROWN INTO THE MUD!! NOW SHE'LL BE A GHOST TOO AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!!"

How dare he snarl at me like that, it was very uncalled for. Out of reflex, I suddenly slaps Litten right in the face while looking pretty pissed.

Popplio: "What gives you the right to say that?! You should've thanked me for saving you! I didn't have a choice, I thought I could save you both but I couldn't! If Brionne were here, she would've hoped that I saved you instead!"

Litten: "Ngh?!"

Popplio: "This is not the end of it. Chairo is out there preparing everything we need to stop that Gourgeist's evil plan on turning us into ghosts, so you better help us or we're all doomed for sure!"

Litten: "... Grr... If this plan failed, he will kiss his ghost butt goodbye."

Popplio: *Sigh* "Let's just go. We can't stay around or the ghosts will find us."