1.6

And just like that, everything had changed.

Soon after Hermione had left I returned back to Gryffindor where Snape was interrogating the students, Draco having gone back to Slytherin to avoid any questioning or speculation.

McGonagall quickly showed up, checking to see if anyone had been injured as the common room had been completely destroyed to the point it was inhabitable. We were all taken for questioning, but of course, no one said a word.

It was all a mess for the next few days, lessons being completely disrupted as we were put onto new time tables and new rules, Snape making his position clear.

New teachers in jet black robes from their necks to their feet flooded in the school gates, some whom I already recognised to be death eaters. It seemed they were attempting to recruit us.

Those who didn't comply or weren't that of Slytherin house were often punished, being sent down to the Carrow siblings to be taught a lesson or two in 'etiquette', as they liked to call it.

Anything out of line was not tolerated.

Students were often covered in bruises and marks, medieval punishments being used against us. These were tough times.

But to compensate for the suffering, The Daily Prophet confirmed that everyone managed to escape from the death eaters and out of the castle, their location unknown as of present. It was a relief to hear, though the Ministry's involvement with Hogwarts soon become overwhelming as a result, teachers being replaced left right and centre.

It felt as if the school was dying, the happiness being torn out of everything as we were forced to comply with the new teaching methods.

Neville had managed to open the Room of Requirement again and what little students were left of Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff all lodged together as one. The castle seemed to have noticed we were in need of help, the room of requirement revealing a large common room with sofas and chairs, and a hall in the back where everyone had placed their sleeping bags and make-shift beds. It felt strange to begin with all being together, not to mention how uncomfortable it was to sleep on the castle floor, but it was safer this way.

Snape and the death eaters were apparently oblivious to the new sleeping arrangements, the students sneaking in to the Room of Requirement as and when they could to avoid being caught. But the other teachers were in on it, helping us to keep it on the down low from him. He'd stepped down from his role of potions master, allowing Slughorn to take his place as he focused on running the prison like rules of the school.

Hogwarts was painfully quiet. There was less than a hundred students left roaming the corridors, an awful silence hanging about the castle. Now with Fred and George gone, there was no laughter anymore. Seamus and Dean did the best they could, but it just wasn't the same.

Three weeks had come and gone, and I hadn't spoken to Draco once. In fact, it seemed as if he was trying to avoid me entirely. He wouldn't meet my gaze in class, always left as soon as he could and was nowhere to be found at weekends when I wandered the castle in search of him. Each day that passed he seemed to grow more and more distant, and I couldn't help but think back to the time before potions, where he was the one questioning me as to why I was avoiding him. What had changed since then?

I could see in his face and the way he stood around his friends that something was bothering him. But knowing Draco if I was to pry too much he would just push me away even further. So I gave him space. I gave up trying to talk to him entirely after I summoned enough courage to walk up to him and his friends when I had a moment alone, earning a blank stare and a cold shoulder as he shut me out completely.