CHAPTER 21

After a sufficient amount of profanity—a split second before Dylan and Savannah stomped back toward the slippery log—Jake knelt and started untying his boots. He took them off and followed that with his socks, shirt, and pants. Sarah and Rachel stared wide eyed at him as he stood there in his snug boxer shorts. He had waited, enjoying the moment as the writer and photographer, and part-time treasure hunters, watched their dreams of grandeur crumble into ashes. That might have been a bit overkill, but Jake relished in it nonetheless. But they wouldn't have given up, they would've been on to the next waterfall. Now, he grinned smartly as everyone took notice of him undressed on the bank of the pool.

"Thought we were joking about the skivvies," Tony said as he began the process of removing his outer garments as well. "But hey, I'm up for a dip. Let's go..."

"This is not about swimming," Jake replied, tightening his stare. "Although, we'll have to do some of that to get behind the waterfall."

"Why should we do that?" Dylan asked. "What do you see that we don't?"

"Yeah?" Savannah said. "We're wasting time. This isn't the right one."

"Au contraire...if you look up at where the waterfall exits the mountain." Jake squinted and pointed. "If you focus on the hole. At first glance it appears like any other, but a closer inspection reveals a mouth with ridges that fork upward. Like a pair of bottom row teeth. What you see is three separate channels. But only the middle run carries water at the moment."

Dylan raised a hand over his brow. "Ah, I see what you're talking about. I knew we brought you along for a reason. Maybe in the past, there was greater water volume, spilling out to fill the other two channels?"

"Right," Jake replied. "It's possible at other times of the year, when rainfall is heavier, the three claws become visible."

"So, it could be a seasonal thing."

"Right."

"Either that," Sarah said, offering a counterpoint, "or over time the individual ridges wore away deeper in the hole, causing the water to funnel into a single fall."

Savannah tilted her head, staring up at the waterfall. "I suppose anything's possible."

Sarah started removing her pants and tank top. "No need for Jake and Tony to have all the fun."

Jake arched a brow, not expecting her to be wearing her swimsuit under her clothes. She must have anticipated something like this on the island. Her tank top had hidden the straps of her navy blue one-piece perfectly. Tony seemed surprised by Sarah's move, especially when Rachel and Savannah joined her in revealing their suits under their clothes.

"Looks like we have ourselves a party here." Tony rolled his shoulders and cracked his neck.

Dylan was last to de-boot and strip down to his boxers. "Guess we're doing this."

"Guess we are," Jake said, wading into the pool, and then diving under. Mid-way, he broke the surface and twirled into a backstroke. "A little chilly, but not too bad for my tastes."

"What are we looking for?" Rachel asked as she paddled out.

"I don't know. We'll just have to see what we find when we get there."

Jake spun and dipped under, swimming for the waterfall. With the downpour washing over his head, he disappeared into a dimmer world behind the translucent curtain. Soon, Tony and Sarah joined him. Then Rachel, and then Savannah and Dylan. When he emerged on the other side, he waited for his eyes to adjust to the dimness.

Sarah sputtered water from her lips, her hair drenched and darker, especially in the reduced light.

Jake glanced at her and wished they were alone.