13

A/N: Thanks to everyone to have read, commented, or voted on this book! Each time I get one, my confidence goes WAY up so I really just gotta say thanks.

Sorry for not updating as quickly, I've had lots of tests and exams and ya know how that is.

     "Toph!" Katara screamed. "Toph where are you!" The waterbender desperately started racing towards where the voice had come from. Her heart was beating out of her chest, and her stomach felt like throwing up. She wasn't sure if it was from her injuries or her fear.

     "I don't know!" Toph responded. "I'm blind, remember?" Even though she said it sarcastically, Katara could hear the panic in her voice. The waterbender raced through the trees and pushed herself through a bush. She saw in a mixture of horror and relief that Toph was caught in a net above the ground.          

      Katara rushed over and hastily started to untie the knots with shaking fingers. Another tribute's trap. After the final one was undone, Toph fell to the ground.

     Katara wrapped Toph into a bone-crushing hug. "I was so scared," she murmured, before letting go. "We need to get out of here."

     "Okay. Let's go back to the rock, you've gotta heal yourself," Toph said, gesturing to the blood on Katara's hands and face. "Let's-" 

     Toph's words were cut off as she yelped and slumped into Katara with a slight oomph. 

     "Katara-" Toph said weakly. Katara's horror grew in the pit of her stomach red started to blossom on the younger girl's chest. A slender knife was penetrating the skin. Katara recognized it from the night before. It was one of Mai's.

     Katara's heart was in her throat and she felt like she couldn't breathe as she pushed the younger girl onto her back. "Let me get my water," Katara said quickly, trying to stop her voice from shaking. "You're gonna be okay." But as Katara watched Toph grow paler and more blood stained her clothing, Katara wasn't sure.

     "Is it bad?" Toph asked, her voice quivering. "Can you heal it?" Katara watched as tears sprang to the earthbender's eyes, before snapping out of it and retrieving her water. Katara waited a few seconds, until the water was glowing blue, before yanking the knife out, eliciting a gasp from Toph.

     "You're going to get better soon," Katara promised, pushing Toph's bangs out of her face with her spare hand.

     Toph just shook her head slightly. "Katara- You have to win."

     "Don't talk like that!" Katara chided loudly, before taking a softer tone. "I'm sorry. But you're going to be alright."

     Toph was crying softly now. "No, I'm not, Katara. I think we both know that."

     Katara just shook her head more vigorously, tears coming to her eyes too. "But- you were supposed to be the one to live," she cried. "You were supposed to go home to your family!" Katara's water was no longer a glowing light blue, but instead a dark pink. Katara knew blood was getting everywhere, but she didn't care.

     "Katara, just stop. You need to get away from whoever threw that knife," Toph whispered, her voice growing weaker with each word.

     "No!" Katara exclaimed, crying harder. "They can get me too!"

     "Touching" A voice sneered. Katara whipped her head around and saw Mai, who was holding her knife threateningly in her hand.

     "How could you?!" Katara snarled, her eyes wild. She continued healing Toph as she waited for Mai to make her move. Nothing happened, and the three tributes waited in deadly silence.