Chapter 2

JOSEPH

I grip the strap of my bag so hard that my fingertips look purple. This bag contains the scarce water that we have, one water bottle. It also has some matches, my pocket knife, everyone's cell phones, and my camera. My camera! Maybe some pictures will jog Kylie's memory! I quickly pull my small point & shoot camera out of the bag, holding it reverently, I go through my pictures until I find one with Kylie in it. It's of us at school, she had been eating and got mashed potatoes all over her face, and me and Amy were laughing.

I make my way to the back of the group, where Kylie's standing alone, her face a blur of emotions. I hate seeing people in pain, this is almost worse. Confusion. Complete and utter confusion.

I pull out my camera, and try to get her to look at me, but when I tap her arm she doesn't react. Her head is in her hands, and she's mumbling something to herself.

I try tapping her arm again, and when she doesn't react I grab it, forcing her to stop walking. Her head jerks up and she screams, she yanks away from me and collapses to the ground. Jamie runs over to us and gives me a dirty look. I just hand her my camera. She glances at it, then hands it back, saying, "It won't work, we already tried. Sorry." I should have known. I  grab my camera and run to catch up with Jennifer and Sam.