chapter 1

quentin's pov

i rolled over and out of bed. i got my phone and checked omnictionary. i don't really know why i go onto omnictinary; its not even a social network, although radar would definitely argue on that one. i really only use it to see if margo's username ever logs on. she hasn't logged on in weeks.

i only recently got worried about margo. she is strong and can easily handle herself, but he hasn't heard from her in a while. he double-checks omnictionary, and just as i am about to close the internet app, i see it. her username has logged on, and there it is, the comment under the paper towns page:

q~ 1:30 aM, north Wing Parking lot ~m

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

of all the possible times margo roth spiegelman could meet me in a college parking lot, the middle of the night was one of the least convienent, for two reasons ; we were not allowed out of our dorms after 10pm, so there were security cameras everywhere, and two; my extremely hyper roommate chose tonight to be the night he chugged down four sodas to study for a calc exam, which was still two weeks away, so i had to wait until he had fallen asleep to sneak out of the room.

once i had made it to the parking lot, the reality hit me. i am going to see her again. i imagined what this would be like, obviously not expecting to actually see her again. whenever i had thought about this, i had fantasized it as being less cold. it was 1:34 am , and i was standing alone in a vacant parking lot. if i got caught how would he explain this?
oh, I was just waiting for margo roth spiegelman, a missing person who told me to meet me here via search engine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
it was now 1:49 am, and i began walking back into my dorm. i guess she won't show up, maybe it was just me seeing things. i don't know.
i laid down, thinking about how stupid I had been. she wouldn't have shown up, not here, not now.

but just as his eyes were closing he caught a glimpse of choppy black hair and cheap face paint.