-One-

"We're being hunted."

These words were cause enough for panic, let alone what came to pass very quickly afterwards. 

"What? By who?"

"Not who - what."

She had never seen her father like this before - chilled to the bone by fear, not even trying to hide it for her sake. A feeling of dread fell over her. 

Papa stopped his horse, but only for a moment. 

"Papa - what do you mean?" What do you mean what?

"I don't know, but something's out there..."

"What? What is?"

"I don't know," he admitted. He always seemed to know everything. She knew that he couldn't possibly know everything, but he always seemed to. She was sure that every child thought their parents knew everything there was to know in the world, and it brought a sense of comfort. 

However, there in that moment, that comfort was no longer there, gone, suddenly dashed away.

Something was definitely wrong.

"How long has it been tracking us?" He didn't answer.  "Papa, how long?" She pressed on, feeling no more reassured by his silence. 

"Too long." 

She felt her throat constricting out of fear, leaving her breathless, her heart thundering in her chest, hammering within her. 

This was in total contrast to the conversation they had been sharing just mere hours ago.

"Soon we'll have a moment to settle down, to rest," Papa had said. "In the next village while I make some more wares to sell."

She was glad to hear this, the length of their travel causing her to grow weary. As much as she loved traveling, it was nice to settle down at the end of it, even if only for a short time, a short while, for they never stayed put in one place for too long. That she had founded out from an early age. 

But now,  keeping them moving was what was keeping them safe - for now, at least. But she didn't want to think about that.  

"Keep going," he urged.  "We are nearing the forest - there we can find cover."

They journeyed the rest of the way in silence; she was so afraid she had nothing to say.  Besides, it was too difficult to speak or hear over the sound of the beating of the horses hooves against the ground and her own thundering heartbeat. 

Once deep inside the forest, nestled within the thick trees, Papa drew his horse to a halt, dismounting.  He withdrew his weapons.  "Stay here." With that, he disappeared. 

She was only becoming more and more nervous, scared, on the verge of panicked, and all the more aware of their dangerous situation. Sure, they had come across their fair share of dangers during their lives on the road, but none such as this. 

Hours ago she had had visions of a warm fire in a cozy inn, their temporary home. Now, she could not keep the images of what may be lurking in the trees and behind the shadows from her mind. 

Suddenly, she became aware of it: the forest had fallen silent, plunging into deep, dark quiet.  All too quiet.

"Papa?" she dared to whisper, her voice a mere squeak, unrecognizable even to her. 

A distant cry sounded through the night, startling her. That was her father's voice behind that cry. Her whole body gave a painful lurch.

And then silence, again, more deep silence...