Part 1 (Dex)

Sophie slumped forward in her seat, letting out a small sigh. The dark bags under her eyes were no better than the day before. She never got enough rest.

       Dex leaned closer to her and whispered, "Still refusing to take sedatives?"

       She gave him a wry smile. "Yes, to Sandor's great displeasure. I swear, one of these days he's going to drug my dinner just to get me to sleep."

       Dex opened his mouth, but his witty reply was cut short when Lady Cadence stalked into the room. Best not to get on her nerves before class even started.

       The rest of the day passed in a slow blur, and before he knew it he was home in bed and the day was gone.

        Dex pulled his blanket up to his chin and rolled to his side, the image of the tired Sophie he'd been seeing almost every day since he'd first met her imprinted on his brain. He was worried about her. He couldn't remember the last time he'd seen her let loose a genuine laugh, a real smile.

       He flopped onto his back and stared at the ceiling, hoping to find a solution carved into the stone. He wanted to do something for her.

        He squinted. A faint memory of a human movie he had watched with the triplets flickered across his mind, too fragile to get a good grasp on. He kicked off his blanket and padded to his closet, yanking the sliding door out of his way and kneeling in front of a box in the back corner. Inside were several DVD cases, all his favorite human movies.

       It didn't take long for him to find what he was looking for in the small pile. Now he remembered. Halloween. An exciting idea began to from, and as he lay in bed that night, his idea became a plan. He closed his eyes, letting the promise of joy battle the apprehension of the nightmares he faced every night.