10 | liar liar tinsel fire

Chloe loved skiing.

The jagged, towering peaks covered in snow, the smell of fresh pine, the rush of wind on your face — it was terribly addicting. And then there was the après-ski, of course, which was usually even better. Les Deux Alpes was known for its nightlife; there was an open-air bar on top of the mountain, as well as a nightclub in the shape of an igloo.

Yes.

She was looking forward to this weekend.

At least, she had been until just now.

"What is that?" she demanded.

Logan gave her a sheepish grin. He was propped up in the backseat of the Winters' black Audi, an air cast on his left leg. "I broke it."

"Doing what?"

"Rock-climbing."

Chloe groaned. "You idiot! Who am I meant to ski with now?"

Kate twisted around in the driver's seat. "I'll ski with you."

"Oh, no, you won't," Jack said, shooting her a look from the passenger seat. "You're staying in the lodge with me, remember? We're playing Scrabble."

Chloe scowled. Bit rude. He'd known Kate for what, like five seconds? She threw her luggage forcefully into the boot of the car. Chloe was meant to be his best friend.

The snake.

"Well, I'm not skiing on my own," she announced.

"Nonsense." Jack waved her off. "Mum will ski with you."

Laura and Richard Winters were flying out to the ski resort, leaving the children to tackle the 24-hour slog out to the mountains with all of the gear. Considering that they were paying for the chalet, however, Chloe would have happily towed a three-tonne trailer filled with explosives, if they asked her to.

Plus, Laura was an excellent skier; she even competed in GS as a teenager. Chloe personally thought that the idea of hurtling around large poles at high speeds was mental, so, you know — good on Laura.

"Good point," Chloe said, slightly cheered. "Scoot over, Logan."

She half-expected him to protest — Logan was known for his theatrics, after all — but he merely shrugged, making room for her in the backseat.

"Buckle up," he murmured, and Chloe shot him an odd look.

Weird.

Since when did Logan care about safety?

"Everyone ready?" Kate chirped.

Three voices chimed their assent.

They arrived at the chalet at sunrise

Burnt crimson licked the sky, colouring all of the sloped wooden homes in a hazy butter yellow. Fresh powder crunched under their feet. Chloe could hear the telltale grinding of gears as ski lifts blinked their sleepy eyes, working out the kinks in their necks. The frozen air felt still. Peaceful, even.