14.

"It's better to be honest than to lie, because when you get too caught up in lying you'll forget the truth. Remember, salt and sugar both look the same."
-unknown
______________________________

Hazel Fenty

The next morning

My eyes opened at sound of closing door. I looked around the room to see it was pitch black. I felt around the bed and didn't feel Harlow. I looked at the time 3:23 AM. I know she didn't stay out all night like that. I sat up and I could hear distant voices. I creeped out of bed and tiptoed to the door. I turned the knob all the way to right before opening it, so there wasn't any squeak or click. I opened the whispering door and peeked out, carefully. No one was in sight but I could still hear a voice. I walked out, I made sure the front door was locked and bolted, I looked over at my parents room and the door was closed or was it? I could see the silhouette of a body moving back and forth. On the couch I could see a rather thick figure. Harlow. At least she wasn't being petty she just wanted some space. Which is understanding.

I quietly made my way over to the curtain, trying my hardest not to trip or knock anything over. I looked up and down to make sure I was stepping carefully and quietly. The silhouette stopped and so did I. Then it sat down. I turned to my left, my parents door wasn't shut. I peeked through the cracks to see my dad's side of the bed was empty. So, that had to be him outside on the deck but what was he doing?

I continued teaching until I reached the wall. The slide door was cracked so I could hear, perfectly. "Nah, I can't right now. I'm with my family." I furrowed my eyebrows. Who was he talking to this time of morning?

"You know I would never. Why you gotta keep bringing that up? I told you from jump we couldn't be a thing. I have a whole wife and daughter." The voice on the other end became louder. Was that a female voice?

"No, don't do that. I'll come see you as soon as I can. Yeah... I promise. Okay, I love you too." My dad stood up and I turned around only to trip and fall. I got back and raced back to the room. I shut the door and the jumped back into bed. I was out of breath, I heard footsteps and through the sheets over my head.

"Hazel?" He called to me. I didn't answer, my heart was racing a mile a minute. "Hazel." I stayed completely still. I calmed my breathing and closed my eyes. The door closed and I sighed in relief. That was a close one.

The smell of bacon filled my nose. I opened my eyes, rolling over. I inhaled then exhaled. The memories from a few hours ago came flooding back. Who was my dad talking to, and why was he on the phone so late? Why did he have to go out the room to talk? I pushed the thoughts to the back of my mind and got ready to do my morning routine. Afterward, I dressed myself in sweats, and a t-shirt with my crocs. I brushed my hair into a top knot and put on a headband. I looked at myself in the mirror, my skin was breaking out.

"Stop stressing, Hazel. It's okay." I stated giving myself a pep talk. I wanted to cry but I didn't need my parents asking questions. Opening the bathroom door I bumped into Harlow.

"Whoops, sorry." I apologize, before making my way around her.

"It's fine." She stated, lowly. She closed the door behind her and then I heard the shower.

I grabbed a plastic bag throwing my dirty clothes in. We still had three days left here, so I'd wash them later on in the afternoon. A knock came to the door and my mom peeked her head in.

"Hey ladybug, how you feeling?" I laughed at the way her head was poking out.

"Fine ma, how about you?" I asked. "Stop hanging in the door like that, and come in." I smiled. She chuckled coming all the way in.

"I'm okay, your father wants to take us all out. Spend some time with us." I rolled my eyes.

"It shouldn't have taken him two days to decide that, but whatever. Where we going?" She touched my hand. The thought of him being on the phone early this morning was really bothering me.

"He said the outlets, and chinese. There's a buffet not too far from here. Then he wants to take us to the movies." I shrugged, not really caring.

"Sounds fun." I scoffed. Mom popped me on the arm playfully.

"I know he hasn't been the greatest but all that matters now is that he's doing something about it." She smiled.

"But bribing us with vacations, and gifts will not replace our hearts. Mom, we're suppose to be a family not acting like neighbors." It was eating me up about what I did to Bashar with Tyree, and that my father had a secret.

"I know pumpkin, but - just know that I love you. Breakfast will be done soon, I'll call y'all out when it's ready or just peep my head in again." Nodding, she gave me a kiss on the forehead before departing.

Harlow opened the door, and made her way around. We didn't exchange any words but she could tell something was bothering me. I knew our friendship was in a tight space but I really needed to talk to her.

"What's wrong?" Harlow asked, looking at me. I met her eye, sighing.

"I think my dad is cheating on my mom." I blurted. She furrowed her eyebrows, she didn't say anything. Her towel dropped but my eyes never left her face. She dressed herself and slid on some socks. Then she came over and sat beside me.

"Why you say that?" She asked.

"Early this morning, I heard my dad on the phone. It sounded like a female on the other end, and it sounds like they've been seeing each other." My lip quivered and Harlow hugged me. A few tears rolled down my cheeks as I hugged her back.

"It's gonna be okay, Ha. Maybe it was-" I shook my head.

"No Lo, it wasn't a family member. This sounded like a different kind of call." I sniffed. "I almost got caught when he ended the call." I admitted.

"How?" She asked, rubbing my back. We never pulled away from the hug we just held onto each other.

"I fell." Harlow busted out laughing, I joined in with her.

"Hazel." Her shoulders shook up and down as she continued laughing. I chuckled as we pulled away.

"So, that explains the thump I heard." Harlow stated, nodding." She probably thought somebody broke in the room. I was hurt, is this why they'd been arguing all the time?

"So, that's why my mom said what she said yesterday." I mumbled, as the words replayed in my head. "You wanted to come here in hopes of fixing our relationship, and this family!"

"What?" Harlow said, pulling away. "What was said?" Sadly, expressing the look on my face. I licked my lips, and sniffled.

"I think my parents are going to get a divorce." The words falling from my lips made me bite the end of my tongue. My stomach started to hurt and the aching in my head was knocking.

"Hazel, you don't know that for sure." Harlow implied, shaking her head.

"I think, I do." I laid my head in her chest as I began to cry.

I've decided to update early today because it's thanksgiving! Y'all enjoy this update :) some drama about to hit the fan soon, be on the look out🤧

5 votes, 5 comments🥳

Happy Thanksgiving 🍁🦃 eat good and be safe y'all❤️