5.

Time to go back to Wolverhampton. I thought Tiffany would be more pleased about this - if I remember, this could lead to our relationship being 'normal' again. Apparently that's not what is going on in her head and I have a feeling it has something to do with the accident. It's like she wants me to be my old self, but without the memories.

I finally spoke to my mom on the phone last night, and things weren't as awkward as I had been expecting. There was no big drama apparently, we just hadn't spoke very much over the years. I don't like the new me - old me would never have ditched his mom and kept that distance. She seemed worried about my accident but believed she might be able to help fill me in with some of what happened from where my memory left off.

I'll be getting the train up, guess I still didn't learn to drive after all these years - that's probably the most annoying bit of news I've had so far to be honest. It would have been cool if I woke up one day and knew how to work a car. I suppose living in London didn't really give me the opportunity as its a bit pointless driving round there.

The good thing about being away from Tiffany for a few days is that I don't have to bother with my contacts. I had made more of an effort with wearing them since the hospital visit, which seemed to please her. But I don't care if new me likes them, old me hated them and it would be best to go back to my old self with my geek glasses for this home visit. Maybe some of my old baggy t-shirts will still be with my mom - take myself back to being 19, or what felt like 2 weeks ago to me.

The train journey gives me time to think about my next steps. Apologising to my mom will be my first mission, and trying to get her perspective on what happened. Everyone knows some secrets are best kept away from parents so I doubt she can tell me what was really going on but she can give it a good try.

Not many people knew about my home-life and how great the bond was with my mother so she is the only one that can remind me of how that changed. I am secretly hoping this visit can help mend the frayed relationship. I don't exactly want to go moving back in, but a few more phone calls or a visit every so often should happen.

I'd have to see the café and speak to Lin to get a hold of Damian. Obviously he won't work there any more but she might know where he is. I think he'll be the most important storyteller, as he can take me back to my last memory. Possibly even help explain what I did afterwards and spark those ever-important puzzle pieces that is my current life.

I may even have to retrace my steps and walk the path I did on the important night out, where I was stupid enough to whack my head and get stuck in this situation. I remember getting frustrated on that night by idiots being unkind, but not enough to want to change my whole life.

As the train rolls in to the correct platform, I suddenly feel nervous. I must have missed my mom or she may have missed me. How long had it been since my last visit? I have no idea how welcoming she will be. I could see her on the platform waiting patiently, looking towards all the doors ready for me to come out.

'Oh would you look at you' my mom cooed as she finally set eyes upon me. I guess there is no hard feelings and she looks really well. 'I see London is treating you well.'

'You mean this new look is recent after all?' Maybe there was hope!

'Well I wouldn't know that specifically. You did start working out and changing yourself when you left, but that was years ago now.' Years? Just how long had I gone without seeing my own mother?

'Shall we head home? I want to get started as soon as we can but it would be better to not be at a train station.' I chuckled and this made my mom smile.

'I've missed you muffin,' she says as we head to the car.

I let silence surround us in the car, thinking of exactly what I want and need to say to her. So many questions are whirring round and I don't know which ones she will be able to answer. It would be rude to go straight into the questions so idle chit-chat would come first - but for some reason, this idea really didn't bother me. I wanted idle chit-chat.

We pull up to the familiar sight of my old home. It's exactly how I remember it on the outside and hopefully the same inside. I have a huge smile plastered across my face as I get out of the car, and my mom just stares at me smiling just as much.

'Cup of tea love?' My mom interrupts my bubble of happiness and says the magic words.

'Thank you mom.'

Whilst she is off making a brew, I wander round the place. The living room and hallway has had a bit of a revamp, but the basement still looks the same, minus some of my stuff. There are a few boxes in the corner and on closer inspection, they are full of my old junk like comic books and games.

I pick up a comic and quickly flip through the pages. 'Tea's ready' I hear my mom shout and I put the comic away and go back upstairs. I can take a proper look at all this stuff later.

We sit down and it's like nothing has ever happened. I haven't gone into question mode yet, as I am enjoying the conversation. We haven't remotely brushed upon me or how I have changed as there is so much to catch up on. It's nice.

'Mr Butters finally got that mole removed you know.' I smile fondly, thinking back to him and his face friend.

'No way! He loved that thing. What made him see sense?'

'Some kids kept targeting his house, shouting abuse at him for weeks and weeks. I think it finally got to him.' Her smile is a fading slightly.

This news doesn't sit so well with me because of my last memory. I was getting a lot of snigger's and some harsh words were said to me. Not enough to actually change my life like I had. Had more gone on afterwards? I think now was the time to bring the conversation up.

'Mom, what happened?'