11. Rise To The Top

The first thing Gajeel was aware of was how much his very skin ached. It felt dry, burnt and stiff, but not as bad as it could have been. His right arm felt heavy and his jaw throbbed. All around, not to bad. He forced his eyes, well, his right eye open to meet the infirmary ceiling. Guess I lost. "Well good morning." He smiled softly at the voice to his right and, wincing slightly, turned to his head to see her. Levy was sitting up in the bed beside him, a thick book in her lap. She had a patch on her left cheek and her left arm was in a sling, she also sported a busted lip. "You look like hell." He croaked out, causing Levy to stick her tongue out at him. "Lu-chan wasn't holding back. Got my ass handed to me." She sighed sadly.

Gajeel forced himself to sit up, groaning slightly. "Hey, you gave it all you had. She's pretty bruised up too." He said. Levy smiled a little as she closed her book, rubbing her hand across the cover. "Your right..." He grinned. "So Salamander and Blondie one ah? " Levy snorted, trying not to laugh. "Actually, Lucy won. You and Natsu went down in a double knock out." Gajeel blinked at her slowly before bursting into laughter."I technically didn't lose!" He crowed, causing Levy to laugh. "Well look who's finally awake!" The two turned to the blonde who stood in the doorway, lightly bandaged.

"Hey Lu-chan!" Levy said with a smile. "Hey Levy-chan,  Gajeel! How are you guys feeling?" She asked as she walked between their beds. "Like iv been sleeping in a furnace," Gajeel grumbled. Lucy laughed. "Well, Wendy healed all of your major injuries but she was stretched pretty thin with the four of us. You get to do some old fashion healing while she rests up." Gajeel nodded. "Has master said who gets S-class?" Levy asked. Lucy grinned in response. "That's actually why I'm here. If you two are up for it, he wants you to be there so he can."

Gajeel was already trying to struggle to his feet and the girls giggled. Levy quickly limped to his side, helping him with her good arm. "Come on big guy, let me help you.b Gajeel grumbled, trying to ignore the heat in his ears. "Don't stress yourself Shrimp," yet he let her help him down the stairs to where the guild was gathered. All of the participants and their partners were lined up in front of the stage. Gajeel and Levy stood at the end of the line, leaning against each other. "The exams are finally over. I will say that I am impressed with each and every one of you." The master called once the crowd was silent.

"I have chosen three of you to advance to S-class." He stated. "Come on gramps, your killin me!" Natsu groaned, causing others to laugh. "Shut it brat!" Markarov shouted before turning his attention back to the guild. "Lucy Heartfillia,  Gajeel Redfox and Natsu Dragneel!" The crowed roared. Lucy was stunned, sure she won the match, but she didn't think that counted. Gajeel was overjoyed, he'd done it! Natsu was roaring, flames shooting from his mouth. Here I come Igneel! Levy smiled brightly up at her boyfriend as he hugged his cat tightly, though she was a bit saddened that she wasn't chosen. She would train hard, she decided, and make Gajeel proud. "In addition." Markarov said above the noise, drawing everyone's attention. "Though I could not give her a spot in S-class,  I am proud and impressed with her growth in power. So Levy McGarden will have a guaranteed spot in next year's exam. Also, as long as she is accompanied by an S-class mage, she may take some S-class quests."

There was another roar from the crowd but Levy was too shocked. She was brought out of it with a squeek as Gajeel lifted her to his shoulder with a large grin. "That's my girl!" She blushed bright red and slapped him on the head, but he just continued to grin up at her. "Party!" Cana shouted, and the guild was thrown into chaos once more. Gajeel set Levy down but didn't release her, still grinning like a fool. "Can ya believe it Shrimp? We're S-class!" Levy giggled. "No Gajeel, your S-class." Gajeel snorted as the two limped over to a table.

"As far as I'm concerned yer already S-class. Next year's exam is just so ya can show off." He said with a lopsided grin. Levy blushed and smiled shyly up at him. "Thank you Gajeel." That night the guild celebrated in the way only Fairy Tail could, the noise finally dying down in the early morning hours. "Gajeel, I can walk you know." Levy mumbled into his shoulder as he made his way slowly to the girls dorm, a slight limp in his step. "Your already half asleep Shrimo." He said with a soft chuckle, which she mearly hummed in response.

Gajeel smiled softly as he walked, finally reaching the girls dorm. "Shrimp." He said, looking back at her. Levy was fast asleep on his shoulder, her breathing deep and heavy. Lily chuckled beside him, "She was exhausted." Gajeel nodded. "She wore herself out, I don't blame her. Hey, go open her window." Gajeel pointed up to a second story window.

Lily did as asked while Gajeel adjusted his hold on the bluenette, gently cradling her in his arm and trying not to wake her. Once the window was open, he carefully scaled the building. It was tricky with the girl in his arm, but he managed, and he soon slipped into her room. The scent of ink and dust hit his nose, but it was a scent he was slowly getting used to. Lily pulled back the pale lavender comforter before Gajeel gently laid her on the bed. Levy snuggled into the soft mattress, a small smile on her face. Gajeel smiled and covered her with the blanket, gently caressing her hair. He planted a soft kiss on her forehead before leaping through the window, exceed in tow.

{Finally updated this! It's gonna be fluff for awhile, any requests? Sorry if it's a bit short! }