chapter 19: missing you

September 14th - James is almost two years old

Taylor, Joe, and James were going to Elizabeth and Richard's house for a Sunday roast, which had become a tradition between them. Tom's family would be there as well.

"Auntie Tay!" Rosie, Tom (Alwyn)'s daughter ran over to her as soon as Taylor walked into the house. "You need to help me with my dolls!"

Tom walked over to Rosie, "Rosie, remember to say hi first."

"Hi," Rosie said quickly, before looking expectantly at her. "So dolls now?"

Taylor laughed, "Sure."

She handed James to Joe, letting Rosie lead her over to the playroom. Joe chuckled, turning to Tom. "Where are Mum and Dad?"

"Mum's in the kitchen and Dad and Patrick are in the living room watching the football game," Tom said.

Joe nodded, and they walked towards the living room, sitting down on the couch next to Patrick, setting James down on his lap. They sat watching football for a while, while James was drawing on his small Ipad.

That was until Rosie came running out, tugging on Joe's arm. "Uncle Joe! We need your help!"

"Oh?" Joe said. "Alright then."

Joe set James in Patrick's lap, before letting Rosie drag him to the playroom. Taylor was sitting there, next to an assortment of dolls. "Uncle Joe's here!" Rosie announced. "He can play as King Joe."

"Oh, I'm a king now?" Joe raised an amused eyebrow.

"Yeah," Rosie said, a serious look on her face. "Auntie Taylor is Queen Tay, queen of the Crystal City. I'm the princess of the Crystal City, and Auntie Tay and I are going to get makeovers! We need you to look over the city while she's doing that."

Joe nodded, giving a small salute, "Will do."

Rosie gave him a serious nod, before turning to Taylor. "Do you think Mummy will let me use her makeup?"

"I'm not sure, maybe you could go ask her," Taylor said.

Rosie jumped up, running back out to the living room. Joe chuckled, turning to Taylor. "So Queen Tay, how's it going?"

"It's great, so far I've successfully taken down the evil Crystal Master." Taylor giggled.

Joe smiled, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek, "Good for you."

Taylor laughed, before seeing Rosie walk back into the room, with a bag full of makeup in her hand. "Mummy said yes! But she said not too much."

"Alright then, am I doing your makeup or are you doing mine?" Taylor asked.

"I'm going to do yours first!" Rosie said. "You need to look very pretty for the ball."

"Are we going to a ball?" Taylor smiled.

Rosie gave an affirmative nod, opening up the makeup bag. "Sit still," Rosie said, opening up a foundation bottle.

"Oh, you're going straight in," Taylor said.

Rosie nodded, applying splotchy foundation with her hands. Joe watched with a humored smile, and Rosie gave him a glare. "Focus on the kingdom," Rosie said.

Joe nodded, turning his gaze back to the plastic castle. Taylor tried to hold back a laugh, letting Rosie apply lipstick. After five minutes Rosie got bored and called it good. "Taadaa!" Rosie said, showing off Taylor's half-done face.

Joe turned to look at her and tried not to burst out laughing. Somehow lipstick had ended up on her forehead, and there were parts of her face that had no makeup at all. "You look beautiful," Joe complimented her. "Good job Rosie."