Rainy Season

-- Notes: 

There isn't enough fanfiction about this ship so I decided to give it a shot! This is set a year after the season finale, humans are mixed in with New Animas society, even if they don't feel quite welcome yet. Michiru is 19 and even though Shirou has been alive for a thousand years, he stopped aging around his early 20's. I think I'll make the chapters 800-1000+ words, depending on the amount of action happening! Enjoy and feel free to give feedback!

--

 It was a stormy day in New Anima, rain cascaded down from the skies onto the city below. Even though the sun had risen, the sky was dark and dreary, filled with grey rain clouds. Michiru listened to the radio at her desk as the reporter gave the weather forecast.

"It appears a tropical storm is coming our way folks, make sure to pack an umbrella for the next few weeks! There seems to be much more to co-" The radio cut out, the man's voice replaced with loud static.

"Darn this old thing!" Michiru hit the radio a few times before sighing, watching through the window as the rain got worse. She threw on her usual red and white striped jacket before sitting down on the edge of her bed to plan out her day.

A sudden knock at the door sent her flying, tripping over her basketball and landing on her face. Luckily, a stray shirt laying on the floor had somewhat lessened the pain.

"Michiru?" A familiar voice spoke from the other side of the door.

"Come in.." Michiru groaned from the floor, scratching the back of her head. Melissa opened the door with a cautious look on her face.

"Is everything alright dear?" She helped the tanuki to her feet, "you-know-who is waiting for you downstairs." Michiru's eyes widened, she spotted her messy reflection in the mirror and attempted to tame her wild hair. It was of little use as strands of it stood back up, the humidity not being much help.

"Just tell him to give me a few minutes, please!" Michiru politely shoved Melissa from the room and opened her drawers, searching for anything that could suit the groggy weather.

She threw on some dark blue jeans and a pair of red sneakers, wishing that she had bought some boots that fit her tanuki feet.

Going downstairs, she saw that Gem was ranting to Shirou about the rain, complaining about getting soaked when he went outside in the morning to caw. Shirou's frown twitched as he tried to hold back a smile from Gem's bizzare complaint.

"Shirou!" Michiru ran up to him with a giddy look on her face, "what's up, pup?" He sighed at her weird way of greeting him, running a hand through his soaked hair. Gem took that as his cue to leave, spinning on his heel and walking out the front door.

His icy blue eyes stared at her as he spoke, "there has been several reports across the city about a bird beastman terrorizing people, Investigator Tajiki wanted us to check it out."

"Really!?" Michiru's smile widened and she gave a little jump of joy, "I've been itching to get back out there all week!" She grabbed Shirou's arm and shook it wildly, him pulling it from her grasp with a huff.

She took a step outside and her mood immediately shifted, her bangs sticking to her forehead as her face scrunched up. She didn't mind normal rain, this was different though. The hot weather made the rain warm and almost sticky, making her unsure if she needed the jacket or not.

Shirou adjusted the collar on his tan jacket and started walking down the stairs. She followed suit, wishing that they could just take public transport instead of walking everywhere for once. Shirou always argued that it was safer to walk, which never made much sense to her.

She stretched her arms out while they walked, nervous to be the one to start small talk with Shirou. Michiru snuck a peek at his face, his expression still as cold as ever. She smiled at him, quickly turning her face away so he couldn't see it.

"What's wrong now?" Shirou yawned and slowed his pace.

"Huh?" Michiru avoided his gaze and looked around the street at all of the signs. Most of the neon signs were off and 'closed' signs hung in the display windows. She took note of a cute looking flower shop, wanting to come back when the weather let up.

"You keep looking at me oddly. I guess it's not that unusual now that I say it out loud." he pondered the glances she's given him before, has he glanced at her in the same way without realizing it? He felt a twinge of guilt as he looked at her saddened expression.

She kicked a rounded pebble across the sidewalk, watching as it ricocheted off of a trash can and into the street. "Um.. well I'm just looking around at everything and you just happened to catch my eye. A lot." Michiru wanted to kick herself like the pebble, not having thought through what her excuse was for admiring him.

Shirou stopped in his tracks, "what do you me-" A high pitched shriek from the street over interrupted them and the two ran through an alley to see a lady pointing down the road.

"That man! That man stole my purse!" Shirou turned into his wolf form and sniffed the air, tracking the man to see that the scent around him reeked of human. A low growl rumbled from his throat and he bared his fangs slightly.

"Michiru, I'll go after the man that stole her bag, you go to the spot where the first report was." He ran off down the road before she could respond to his order, quickly disappearing into the darkness. Michiru checked her newest phone, seeing that the spot he mentioned was only a few blocks away.

The brunette lady looked torn on what to do, looking back and forth between the street and the tanuki girl. Just as Michiru was going to tell her to stay put, she looked up to see that the woman had disappeared.

"Miss?" Michiru peeked around the street corner, seeing nothing but darkness. She shrugged, walking the opposite way Shirou went towards the incident site. The rain slowed for a moment, allowing her ears to pick up a set of footsteps closing in on her. 

--

Thank you for anyone who read this! I'll try to update it as often as schoolwork allows :)