1.0

1999

THE GROWLING OF THE ENGINE was the only sound in the lonely road where a car with peeling blue paint ran. Inside was a small family of four which is where you would meet the two sisters, Nam Chae-yeon and Nam Ji-a. Their parents were situated in the front seats with their father driving and their mother who was sitting beside him. 

Chae-yeon smiled giddily, today was her little sister's birthday and she was excited to see how she would reacts to the present she picked out. "I was going to give this to you once we got home but here. It's your birthday present." 

Her mom's sweet voice called out while she handed a purple box with a golden bow to Ji-a . Her eyes widened alongside her smile. She took the box and quickly slid the top off which revealed a carousel music box. Chae-yeon had spotted it one day when she was coming home from school. She had told her dad that she thought that it would be a good present for the nine year-old girl. 

Ji-a let out a sigh of awe as she stared down at the music box. Chae-yeon and her dad chuckled at the child's reaction. She twisted the top of the carousel to activate the music, which was a soft piano tune that gave off a calming effect.

"Do you like your present?" Her dad questioned from the front. "Yes, I really like it!" She said with a soft giggle. She pulled her older sister into a hug because she knew that Chae-yeon would have a hand in this. 

Chae-yeon saw her mom's content smile disappear as her eyes collided with her dad's. The tune from the music box still played as the silence settled in. Chae-yeon looked out the window into the door and saw the road illuminated by the streetlights. 

She saw a signboard, on which was 'Yeou Gogae'. All four heads turned as one of the lights went off, her dad's expression turned solemn as if he expected something bad to happen.

Chae-yeon's heart began thumping, she didn't know why. It was probably just a malfunctioning light, nothing more. She was proven wrong when all the lights around them went out one by one. 

Everybody was silent and Chae-yeon could hear her heart beating so hard she thought it might burst out of her chest. The car's headlight was the only source of light in the dark and mysterious road. 

Her dad's hand tightened around the wheel. She could Ji-a's breathing quicken so she took her hand in her own and gave it reassuring strokes. Ji-a gave her a smile. 

A figureless shadow flew in front of their car, it went away as soon as it came. But it was enough to startle them. Her dad turned the wheel in hopes to avoid the shadow but instead the car flipped. 

Glass on the windows broke into little shards. Chae-yeon could feel a few pieces of glass prickling in her body. The car landed upside down with a crash on the rod. It skidded to a stop after sliding a few meters. 

Chae-yeon opened her eyes which she had closed involuntarily. The skin on her hand felt like it was screaming but she didn't pay any mind to it because she needed to see if all of her other family members were okay. 

 She looked towards her sister and let out  sigh of relief when she saw that she was fine. She was holding onto Ji-a's hand and when she looked down, she spotted a few specks of blood on her white sweater. She could hear the tune from the music box still playing.