Chapter 16

The group walked into the club, anxious as to the future. Gamichee had extended them an invitation to join him for a discussion on the future, even going so far as to ensure that the staff didn't collect payment for their entry.

When Lyla walked through the VIP area, she felt the weight of the stares of the vampires around her, only this time, she didn't cower into Lennon. She walked tall and proud because she could hear the whispers. This was the vampire that stood up to Aneska. She was the one that killed the vampires that were hunting them. She was their saviour.

Chad was waiting by the door, giving the group a firm nod and a pleasant welcome as he opened the door. As expected, Carson was standing beside Gamichee's chair, watching as they walked into his office.

"Welcome, friends. I'm glad you took me up on the offer to return. No doubt it must be an unsettling thing to do after everything has passed. Come, sit and rest while I show Lennon what I have for him."

Carson moved to the other side of Gamichee's office, ensuring that the refreshments were all in order for the trio. Gamichee moved to the hidden panel, pushing it aside.

"When you entered this area, I was worried about what you might have found, but surprisingly, you must have walked straight past it."

With the code entered, Gamichee pulled the heavy vault door open. Lennon followed him into the giant safe. Gamichee pulled down a file box that was sitting on top of the filing cabinet.

"This is for you. After your parents passed away, I went to their house and collected everything that I knew that you would find valuable. It was difficult to do considering that the house was marked for ransacking. That was common, unfortunately. Charlton would order the hit, give it a couple of days for the dust to settle then send another team in to take anything valuable. I beat them to it, but I think it was only by a day. Come, you will need more light to look at everything."

Lennon walked out of the safe, still stunned that this was happening. It was just a box of things, but he knew that it was everything that he'd ever wanted. Even without seeing it, Lennon knew that he'd find happiness in these items. Bittersweet but happy nonetheless.

Placing it on the desk, Lennon lifted the lid and looked at the contents. It was a stack of photos, a few trinkets and a box. Gamichee reached in and pulled the ornate wooden box out, opening it. Lennon looked at the jewellery, feeling a great weight of sadness hit him. There, sitting among the items, were two rings.

"It was a painful decision, I assure you of that," Gamichee said as he lifted one of the rings out of the box. "But I did it so that you could understand their love. For you and for each other."

He tilted the ring so that Lennon could see the inscription. My love, now and forever.

Gamichee replaced the ring and then reached into the file box, pulling out an envelope. Inside was everything that he'd managed to keep alive for Lennon.

"Do you ever wonder how you manage to survive even though you do not have a job? How do you manage to acquire things even though you, by appearances, do not have access to a lot of money?"

"Nuh, just always kicking your ass at poker."

"Yes," Gamichee hummed. "You're just lucky that you have an amazing teacher. One who cares deeply."

Opening the envelope, Gamichee pulled out the papers and handed them to Lennon. He put the jewellery box down, looking at the bankbook. It looked old, even though he was not an old vampire.

"This account was created the day after you were born. Your father didn't have much, but he made solid decisions that turned out to be quite lucrative. As I was named your guardian, I took the investments and ensured they performed well. The interest feeds into this account, and every so often, I take a little out, and when you're drunk and not paying attention, I slip the money into your wallet. Everything is in here, all in your name."

"But I was supposed to be hidden, yet you've got these active bank accounts and term deposits. Charlton knew about me, but I'm still alive. How?"

"Trust me when I say that you were on his termination list. You, my dear friend, can be quite slippery when you don't want to be found. He was always sending his death squads into my town, searching for the purebloods. Sometimes they would succeed, but mostly they'd end up in my furnace."

The bankbook was placed back into the envelope with the information regarding the term deposits.

"I am, if anything, grateful that he is dead. Perhaps now our race can breathe freely without fearing those around us."

"How come you never told me?"

"It was a mistake. I realise that now. I hoped that by keeping you in the dark, you'd lead a happy life."

"You could have been dead," Lennon whispered. "Lyla was coming after you."

"That is not news to me. I know everything because I have my sources. She would have tried but,"

"No, don't say that she wouldn't have won because you damned well know that's not true. If she can take down Charlton without so much as a scratch on her body, then she can take you down. She is not some little woman to walk all over or ignore."

"I know," he paused, glancing at the annoyed vampire in front of him. "Now."

Lennon huffed, replacing the lid on the file box. It was time to leave.

"I appreciate the efforts that you've gone to. A little insight into the truth would have saved us a whole lot of time."

"Come on, you know that's not how I work."

With a chuckle, Lennon nodded and hitched the box under his arm.

"Yeah, we all know you're a pain in the ass."

"That I am. Perhaps this Thursday, you'll put in more than your usual paltry amount."

"My paltry amount earns me big dollars. I'll stick to my routine, thank you very much."

Gamichee smiled as Lennon sauntered out of the room, his friends not far behind. Lyla turned and looked at him when she reached the door. It was a defiant smile that she gave, amusing Gamichee no end. He could see why Lennon chased after her.