27| the aftermath and changes

Alise's POV

I jerk awake from the sound of the doorbell repeatedly ringing. My mouth feels dry and I have to blink my eyes a few times to get a sense of my surroundings. I realize I'm still sitting on the bathroom floor and swallow upon seeing the mess. 

The bell rings again and I slowly get up, hearing my knees crack as I extend my legs. As I make my way to the door, I suddenly recall my appearance and simply cover my head with my hood, hoping it hides something.

I breathe out a shaky sigh as I open the door and see Violet with a scowl plastered on her face but her worry doesn't go amiss. 

"Is your phone fucking dead Magalise? You disappeared from school and don't even bother checking your texts or phone calls?" she asks with anger radiating from her. 

"I-

"You know Alara worries. Both May and I worry. If you're ditching at least let us know." she paces around the porch, with tousled red-streaked hair from the strong wind. 

I immediately feel guilt weigh down on a me like a boulder. I didn't think. I just acted. 

"After spamming you with texts and calls, we waited four hours because Alara was worried you might just need space. May thought maybe your phone was dead or you just wanted to be alone. We need to know what is up with you Maga - " she abruptly stops speaking and I take it as an opportunity to apologize. 

"Vi I'm really sorry. I came home and I fell asleep and my phone wasn't with -

"What the fuck did you do to your hair?" she asks in shock and I realize my hood has slipped. 

I open my mouth but no words come out. She steps closer and brushes the hood fully down, gathering my jagged locks in her hand. 

"Did ... did you do this yourself?" she incredulously states, her voice going a few octaves higher.

I merely look down not knowing how to respond. I feel like an overwhelming amount of dread and failure come over me. 

"I'm sorry," I say. 

She stares at me disbelievingly and my voice wavers as I repeat, "I'm sorry."

"Hey." she softly says. 

"I'm sorry." I gulp through uneven breaths, feeling my eyes water. 

"Come here." she pulls me into a hug, surrounding me in her rose scent. 

"I'm sorry," I whisper into her shoulder, as tears trickle down my cheeks. 

"It's okay." she hums, soothingly finger combing through my newly cut hair. 

After a few minutes of staying in that position, she pulls back and wipes my tears. I see no sympathy or pity written on her face and I'm grateful. 

"Stop crying now. You know I barely give hugs so be happy." she glares but I know she's just teasing.

"Right." I sniffle with a small laugh. 

"Are you going to invite me inside now?"

I raise an eyebrow and she playfully pushes me to the side, stepping inside. 

"I'm making coffee. Go take a shower and freshen up." she commands, walking into the kitchen.

"You know where everything's at?"

"Yeah just go now." she shooes me away. 

I nod and make my way to the downstairs bathroom. I wish I didn't cry. I wish I didn't cry in front of her. Now she knows something is wrong for sure.