⚡0⚡

𝔸ℂℂ𝕆ℝ𝔻𝕀ℕ𝔾 𝕋𝕆 𝕂𝕐𝔸ℕ, his dad was a hero. He wasn't just a regular man like everyone else thought. He was larger than life; he was like a man in the legends who was so strong and gracious. 

His dad rarely came around, but when he did, Kyan would always be so excited. He wouldn't be able to sleep the whole time that his dad was there because they would always do fun things together, like fishing or camping. They usually did things where there weren't other people, but Kyan did not care. He loved spending time with his dad.

That day - that cursed day - started like it usually did when his father came around. He would perform his secret knock that only Kyan knew and Kyan would go around back and open the door for him. 

"Hey, little buddy," his dad said, ruffling Kyan's brown hair. The circular glasses that his dad usually wore were peeking out of a breast pocket on the green shirt he was wearing. "How have you been?"

The smile on Kyan's face hadn't disappeared since he heard the familiar knock on the door. When he was little, his dad made sure he knew the secret knock to let him in quickly. They were the only two who knew the secret knock; Kyan's mom didn't even know it. Kyan thought it was cool that his dad had a secret knock because it made him even more mysterious. 

"I've been okay," Kyan said as he shut the door behind his dad. He scrunched up his eyebrows as he thought about his life since he last saw his dad. Nothing had changed, except he did get a little taller. Or at least that's what his mother told him. "But now I'm great because you're here."

His father smiled before pulling him into a bone-crushing hug. Kyan's face was squished against his father's chest, but he didn't mind. "Where's your mother?" When his father spoke, he could feel the words reverberate in his chest.

Kyan sucked in a breath, trying to remember if his father ever smelled that good before. He didn't know what his father did, but he did know that it was some sort of manual labor. However, his hands were never callused or anything, so he must have been the boss. Kyan was proud of his dad because he was always away at business meetings; he knew he was doing something great in this world if he was gone for almost the whole year.

"She's at work," Kyan said to his dad, his words muffled against his chest.

"Good." His dad pulled away from the hug with a large smile on his face. "How does fishing sound today?"

"Awesome!" 

Kyan couldn't wait to go fishing. It had been a few years since they last went fishing because, lately, his father hadn't wanted to go anywhere. He wanted to stay in Kyan and his mother's minuscule house where no one would see him. He had said that he was tired of seeing people, so they would remain at the house instead. Whenever his father stayed a few days there, Kyan's mother wouldn't come back until he was gone. It seemed like they hadn't been on good terms since Kyan's birth. It didn't bother Kyan much, but the older he got, the more he wondered what had happened between the two of them.

A warm feeling spread through Kyan's veins as he and his dad got ready for a day of fishing. They worked well together without even speaking once. Kyan packed all of the bait he had gathered into a bag and handed it off to his dad. His dad then proceeded to repack the bait because Kyan's excited fingers would mix each type of bait on accident. 

After a minute of waiting, Kyan headed to the corner of the little shack he and his mother lived in and grabbed the two fishing rods that were over there. They didn't have a lot to their names, but they had enough to live off of. Kyan didn't have many friends, either, so he generally stayed near his house alone every day until his mother came home. He also didn't go to school because his mother couldn't afford it. The only joy he had was when his father came to visit.