⚡4⚡

𝔼𝕍𝔼ℝ 𝕊𝕀ℕℂ𝔼 𝕂𝕐𝔸ℕ 𝕊𝕋𝕆ℙℙ𝔼𝔻 taking his medication, his mind had not been working right. There was something wrong with him now, but he couldn't put his finger on it. Some nights he wouldn't be able to sleep at all. Sometimes he would sleep for days on end. At least, that's what Azula told him. 

He wasn't sure if he could believe her, though. There was a small part of him that didn't trust a word she said. The look in her eyes reminded Kyan of a hungry catgator, ready to pounce on its dinner. That was enough proof for him not to trust her. 

But he also had this unexplained urge to trust her. She seemed to have a way with words that made him feel like she understood or she cared. At the least of it, she made him feel like he wasn't alone anymore. 

Sometimes being alone was the worst feeling in the world. It crept into your bones like a thief in the night, stealing everything you once knew about the world around you and feeding you lies when you least expect it. Those same lies swirled around Kyan's head every single day that he was here. They finally quieted down when Azula appeared in his life. 

The sun was finally setting on another wretched day. Pink and orange fell through the window, lighting up their cell. The shadows of the tree outside and the bars on the window rested against the wall next to his bed, covering everything except him.

The door clicked, and Kyan jerked his head toward the other side of the room. A nurse in plain clothes had walked into the room, but she wasn't carrying anything. Kyan thought that it was dinnertime, so why didn't the nurse have his food? His stomach grumbled and ached.

The nurse stood at the end of his bed, staring at him. Kyan shifted his gaze over to Azula, but she was still looking through the window. She hadn't moved in days; all she could do was stare outside at the free world.

"Where's our food?" Kyan asked the nurse. Her eyes seemed so lifeless as they continued to stare at him. "What is going on here?"

The nurse remained motionless. It was starting to creep Kyan out. What was this nurse doing and why wasn't she leaving? 

"Who are you talking to?" Azula asked, her voice breaking through the barrier in his mind. He looked at her and found her frowning at him. 

"What do you mean?" he asked. There was a soft click in the back of his mind; it sounded just like the door shutting. "One of the nurses was in here, but she didn't have any food for us."

Kyan looked at the door to find it closed. She must have left while he was speaking. "No, there wasn't," Azula said. "I'm the only other person that has been in here all day."

He didn't believe her. He knew what he saw, and he saw that nurse come into their cell without food. Why would his mind play tricks on him like that? She would be the one to play tricks on him, not his mind.

"We are escaping now," Azula whispered to him. "It's the perfect night to escape."

"I'm not sure about this," Kyan whispered. His eyes flicked toward the door where a nurse could walk in at any given moment. They were always patrolling the halls, listening for anything out of the ordinary. "If we get caught -"

"We won't get caught." Azula squared her shoulders and gave him a curt nod. Tonight, her eyes seemed more real and less glassy. She had grown quiet the past couple of days, probably plotting their getaway. "These chains are rock solid, and I need to get out of this chair right now."

"How?" Even as the words left his mouth, an idea formed slowly in his mind. Something tugged him over to his bed, and he reached under his pillow, feeling the cool metal utensils with his fingers. "What can we do with this?"