three

Oct. 4, 1961

Just five days to John's twenty-first birthday, Paul wasn't sure what to get him. He decided to leave it up to the last minute to make any purchases, not sweating it at any cost.

Even though the older man was being rather weird towards him lately, he was missing John. He and George were out playing footie, thinking about when John himself would show up. He was finally starting to see that maybe John had more than just a view of friendship with Paul in his mind. But he needed more proof. He needed something more to bring it up to John. The small glances and lingering touches weren't enough. He needed to hear it for him to believe it. Paul was trying to devise a plan and didn't notice he was staring off into space. George was taking a break to drink some water and in the distance could see something was on his friend's mind.

"Somethin' bothering you?" he asked after taking a huge gulp of his water.

Paul let out a long sigh, shrugging his shoulders. "Nothing, nothin' at all."

"Come on, Paul. You know y'can tell me anything." George patted Paul's leg in reassurance. "Is it about a girl?"

"No," he shook his head, thinking George would judge him if he were truthful. "It's not a big deal."

"It must be, if you're all defensive about it."

Paul forced out a nervous chuckle, scratching the back of his neck. "M'not trying to be defensive. Just comes off that way, I suppose. But uh, well, it's about John." He noticed George opened his mouth to speak, cutting him off immediately and waving his finger as he spoke. "-but before you think I'm being some sap over 'im, it's not like that."

"I wasn't gonna say nothin' 'bout that. I don't care about blokes being into their own, y'know-"

"I'm not! But... I - I think John might...have the wrong impression." It felt wrong to pretend some sort of curiosity didn't linger behind that statement. If John were to admit his feelings, he would definitely like to experiment with him. He would see what that side of life is all about, because hell, he'd do anything once. He knew he, deep down, loved John. Why couldn't he at least try to get on with John like a girl? Of course he wasn't going to tell George this, though.

"What makes y'say that? Did he do something?" George asked curiously. The man was always up to no good, and engaging in that wouldn't be surprising to Harrison. It was almost like John did things that were largely frowned upon just so he could get away with saying he could do it. Still, George would never make fun of them if either one were queer. It simply became just some more information he'd gathered in his years.

"I think he may be...bisexual. And e-even then, I don't know how to just bring that up. I wouldn't mind it if he were, y'know. He'd still be me best mate." George smirked when Paul said that, knowing there had to be some sort of interest in it if he thought about it this much. It could be likely that both of them felt the same, but neither knew how to make the first move toward intimacy.

"Might be," George laughed, "Why would you be so interested in it?"

"Because," he blushed, turning away from him. "I don't like blokes, George."

"Maybe not all blokes. You sure you don't just like John?" he questioned.

"That would be wrong, George," McCartney shook his head, "That's not allowed, y'know? So no. I don't like men, and I don't like John. I just... want to know."

George refused to believe that.

"What will change when you find this out? There has to be more to it. I don't buy it being only curiosity. You're...into John, aren't you?" he smirked, poking his friend's cheek with a short exhale of air out of his nose.

Paul pondered on that thought, and was probably going to answer that (although not necessarily truthfully) but the man himself had arrived, and by the looks of it he was running to join them. "I'm here! The party's about to start, boys!" John exclaimed, excited to drink.

Harrison snickered at the fact that they were just talking about him. He stood to greet his band mate. John pulled a bottle of whiskey out of his pocket, took a sip of it and handed it to George. "I stole this from me neighbor. Drink up, lads. We got some shit to do."