Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Being in Aaden’s arms is overwhelming. I can’t get used to the feeling of absolute protection. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever felt before. While I continue to battle with my own conflicting emotions, I become more aware of his arms encompassing me and keeping me sheltered. It makes me feel safe—makes me feel like home.   

The rain has started to let up and my emotional breakdown has subsided to quiet unsettled breathing. The side of my face still lies pressed against Aaden’s smooth chest and he continues to soothingly brush his hand through my wet hair, calming me down. I can feel the metallic symbol of his Everly necklace cutting into my cheek. It feels rough and frozen, just like the night I lost my mother’s.

Aaden’s a Scout; I remind myself with steady breathing. He’s only doing this—acting like he cares for me because it’s his duty to look after me and keep me safe. He doesn’t care for you the way you think he does, Anna. Aaden’s only focus is keeping you out of harm’s way and far from the Valdorian Scouts. I don’t think he ever thought I would be my own greatest enemy, punishing myself over and over again with the guilt that has bound my soul for so long.

I feel Aaden shifting against me, sensing my calmness. I close my eyes, knowing he’s about to release me from his embrace. I memorize the feeling of home and it’s as easy as recalling the events of my favorite storybook.

“Anna?” he asks softly. I warily lift my chin, my eyes meeting his. “Are you all right? You had me worried for a second.”

I gaze up into his eyes for a moment. “Yes,” I answer with a gentle nod. “I’m sorry about that…that you had to see me like that—that you had to see the parts of me that are still broken.”

He issues me a sympathetic smile. “It’s all right, and you’re not broken, Anna. Just a little wounded maybe.” I smile shyly at his analogy. “Whether you believe it or not, we all have a dark side hidden inside ourselves. The more we try to fight it the stronger it grows, until we can find the courage within ourselves to release it. Hopefully to someone we can trust.”

Aaden’s words turn over in my mind and I can’t help but wonder what monster he’s been battling within himself. My thoughts drift to that night on the bridge and how I may have witnessed a shred of this dark side he’s referring to.

The moment I knew was coming has inevitably arrived: Aaden drops his arms and steps back out of my personal bubble. I feel a wisp of cold air envelop around me and I shiver, realizing I’m still just wearing my bathing suit.

As I reach for my bag and pile of discarded clothes, Aaden says, “Anna, there’s something I need to show you.”

“What is it?” I ask curiously, pulling on my shorts and t-shirt. The clothes are still damp from earlier and I shiver again.

He rakes his hand back through his damp hair, but his expression tells me nothing. “Come inside,” he says, his tone serious. He slides open the glass door and gestures me to enter with his hand.

I eye him suspiciously as I pass in front of him and step into his living area. The space looks the same as it did the morning we ate breakfast together. As I take a seat on the couch, careful not to leave a wet spot with my damp shorts, Aaden walks passed me and into his bedroom.

I place my bag on the worn wooden floor next to my shriveled bare feet. This time, as I sit with my hands clasped anxiously in my lap, I glance around Aaden’s cozy home, searching for the pages of his story. There are no pictures hanging on the walls and all the surfaces are free from knick knacks and personal sentiments.  Aaden doesn’t actually live here I remind myself. He’s only staying in this empty space until he can take us back to Everly.