15.

"Time spent with family is worth every second."
- unknown
———————————————

Hazel Fenty

"Hazel, don't you think it's time your start working?" My dad said, halting my conversation with Harlow.

"Um, no. Not until I graduate." I was getting ready to open my mouth again but he had something else to say.

"No, I think it's time. I'll send you some links when we get back." He said. My day is going fine and now it's about to decrease.

"I don't think so." I said as we turned into the Rue 21 store.

"Hazel-"

"Black, don't start. It's a good day. Let's just leave her be." There was a smacking of the lips and a smile on my face. We opened the door and a lady came to the front, she looked like the manager.

"Um, excuse me. We are doing a little construction today, so we won't be open." Harlow and I looked at each other then back at her. My eyes traveled to the inside of the store and it was packed with females.

"So all the females in there must be construction workers, huh?" My mom said, letting go of my dad's hand.

"Ma'am-" My mom shook her head.

"I don't see no hard hats, no signs, and no bulldozer, so what's really up?" The lady became frightened. "I hope you not implying what I think you are." I looked at the woman, and her face turned bright red.

"Please, I'm going to have to ask you to leave." The lady gestured.

"Okay, umm..." Mom read her name tag. "Julia? I'll leave but you're going to hear what the hell I have to say first. My daughters sizes should have nothing, and I mean nothing with them wanting to shop in your store. I find it disrespectful and discriminative that you treat your customers like that. I don't see where you're skinny at all. That muffin top and double chin are surely speaking for themselves. Now, I'm going to write down this address and the website, and you will let them shop here. I dare you to tell me no." My eyes were dilated. Mom was an inch away from her face. A small crowd had gathered around already, some even recording.

Julia moved from the door, and we entered. I honestly didn't even wanna shop here anymore but I didn't want what my mom said to go in vain. "Girl, 'yo mama is a badass." Harlow smiled, I nodded chuckling.

"Yeah. She use to be my size, so she knows how it feels." Harlow looked up from the rack at me.

"What? She wasn't always that small?" I shook my head no.

"Dang, I would have never known." I smiled, going through the racks.

"Um, I'm really sorry about that. My mom can be a bitch sometimes." Harlow and I looked up to see a white girl the same size as us.

"Yo mama retooling and you the same size as us!" Harlow exclaimed, titling her head back. I elbowed her.

"Harlow." I mumbled.

"It's okay, I've already thanked your mom for standing up to mine. I don't know why my mom is the way she-"

"Ginger, what are you doing? You're supposed to be in the back." Julia said, looking at her daughter.

"I was just talking to them." Ginger explained, nervously. She played with her fingers as her mother gave her a look of envy.

"No, I need you in the back." A customer called for Julia, she looked away but not before telling her Ginger she needed to get back to work.

"Here's my number." I pulled out my phone, typing every number she gave me. I called her phone so she'd have my number saved as well.

"Hazel." She smiled. She nodded and disappeared to the back.

"Her mom need some dick or something. The dickatude is unnecessary." I laughed at Harlow's comment. She's a trip.

"You not lying." I implied, shaking my head. Harlow and I got done shopping, we paid for our purchases, and left the store.

"Where to next?" Dad said, looking around the strip mall as people walked by.

"How about some sweaters and makeup?" I agreed, and we walked into a store called The Loft. It was so pretty in here. It smelled like fresh wood and pumpkin spice with a hint of sweet vanilla. Chandeliers hung from the ceiling shining lucently. The clothes were either neatly folded on the shelves or hung vulnerably off the rack. It actually looked like a log cabin in here in the most beautiful way possible.

"Hi, welcome to The Loft." A woman smiled, as she checked out a customer.

"Hi." We all greeted back. We all spread out going to different parts of the store.

"Girl look at these lingerie sets, they are beautiful." Harlow exclaimed, holding up a beige set of lace panties and bra. The bra was strapless and had fur around the lining, and so did the panties.

"Too bad I don't have a boyfriend to show them off to." I joked. Harlow simply smiled and continued to browse. I saw a blue, and gray set. I looked for my size but couldn't find it. Why is it every where we go, we can't seem to find our sizes? It's always too small.

Suddenly, loud shots rang out. Harlow and I ducked screaming. My heart was racing and my body was hot all over. Where were my mom and dad? Were they okay? The loud screaming continued as more shots rang out.

"Mom!" I hollered, peeking from behind the clothing rack.

"Oh my God!" I heard my dad shout. Then, it was quiet. Too quiet. There was crying and screaming. I rushed off the floor and ran over to where I saw my dad bent over. I ran over and I looked down. It felt like my soul left my body.

"Mom!" I screamed, my heart was beating so hard in my chest, it felt like I was losing my breath. She was barely alive. There were multiple gunshots all in the chest and stomach area. There was so much blood. I bent over, my hands trembling.

"Oh my God, I-I've already alerted the police and the ambulance is on their way as well. I'm gonna go get some towels." The lady ran away to get some towels and I looked at my mom. Her eyes were barely open and she was still breathing, thank God. My dad held her head as she began coughing up blood.

"M-Mom." I cried, I didn't want to touch her. I was scared I would hurt her more. My dad took off his shirt to wipe the sides of her mouth. The lady ran back with two giant towels and gently pressed them against the wounds. I could here the sirens in he distance and I was excited that they'd came so fast.

The ambulance came to a complete stop and the women jumped out moving as fast as they could. They had the gurney in action. They looked at my mom and made us give them some space. "We need to get her to the hospital now." Harlow hugged me as I sobbed into her chest. Our vacation was ruined, and I didn't want to look outside, that's where the shots came from. I knew it was bad and I just covered my eyes as we made our way outside back to the car.

Please don't kill me. I know this chapter wasn't what y'all were expecting. If y'all read the titles and the quotes as you read the chapters I'm kind of giving away hints🤷🏽‍♀️ so look for that from now on. i appreciate each and every last one of you sooo much! Thank you for the reads too we are almost at 1K!🎉Hopefully we can reach that goal before Wednesday so y'all can have more than one update :)

5 votes, 5 comments for next chapter💙