august

pairing: one-sided sasuke x sakura, implied sasuke x naruto
type: angst
setting: konoha, the uchiha district
era: shippuden

summary: 'cause you were never mine to lose

xxx

at some point in her teenage years, sakura visited sasuke's house. it was after a failed retrieval mission and she was longing for some sort of memory of the edgy and cool uchiha.

she entered the uchiha district with no supervision and made her way to sasuke's old house. it was quiet and mysterious, having been abandoned for years.

once she reached sasuke's house, she was surprised to find that the door was left unlocked. quite careless of sasuke, to be honest. there was slight rust on the knob and every surface was dusty. the air was dry and had a sickening aura.

she explored the house until suspence and curiosity overtook her, and she ran off to find sasuke's bedroom. to herself, she whispered, "are you sure?" before opening the door and stepping inside.

the room was bland and neat, perfectly characterizing sasuke. very faintly, she was able to recognize sasuke's clean and comforting scent.

while looking around, she caught a glimpse of a picture frame. it was face-down on his dresser. with minor guilt, she lifted it up to be met with an old photo of team 7 before they were torn apart.

sakura wipes her hand across the plastic on top of the printed photo. she blows the remaining dust off and smiles at the framed image. sure, she has the same picture in her bedroom, but this is sasuke's copy.

flashbacks crossed her mind of the time sasuke and her were children. the crush that she used to have on him is laughable nowadays, but at the time she wanted nothing more than to hold him in her arms. if only that warm yet heartbreaking august day didn't occur then maybe, just maybe, they would have something together. august sipped away like a bottle of wine because she never took their time for granted; she only longed for time doing different things. back when she was living for the hope of it all, that was the only thing she wanted.

but then, she realized something. seeing naruto after the mission running down the old, stone roads with such an anguished expression... he wasn't ever hers to lose in the first place. 

xxx

she never needed anything more :(

402 words