Out of All Men

"So, Alex to celebrate our two-year anniversary I thought maybe we could have a ball," Eliza suggested to her husband as they lay in bed, side by side, his arm wrapped around Eliza.

"I think it's a lovely idea." He said agreeing with her. He kissed the side of her forehead before sinking deeper into the bed and getting ready to drift off to sleep.

"Goodnight, Alexander."

"Goodnight, my love."

...

"Alexander, Angelica is here!" Alexander could hear his wife calling from downstairs. He put everything back in place on his desk and bounded down the stairs to greet his sister-in-law.

"Angelica, how are you doing?" Hamilton asked.

"Good. I hear you guys are planning a ball for your anniversary this year."

"That is correct Angelica, Eliza came to me with the idea last night, and well, how could I say no to her." He said, pointing to his wife as she came in with the morning paper.

"Oh, please, you love these parties," Eliza said, smiling at her husband.

"Maybe you should invite Thomas Jefferson," Angelica said out of the blue and Alexander choked on the spit in his mouth. How could she possibly think it was a good idea to invite Thomas Jefferson his enemy, a man he's despised since the very beginning?

"Why the hell would I invite Thomas Jefferson? The man is my arch-nemesis."

"Because maybe if you played nice with him he might, you know be a little nicer to you. And then you guys can work together, rather than against each other to better America," Angelica explained but Alexander sensed there was another reason why, but he didn't really want to delve into that right now.

"Are you sure that's the only reason why, Angelica?" Eliza asked with a knowing tone as she slid into a chair next to Alexander so that she was across from Angelica. Hamilton's eyes snapped to Eliza's face. What was it that they weren't telling him?

Angelica narrowed her eyes at Eliza. "Of course, Eliza. What other reason would I have?"

"Nevermind," Eliza said, completely unfazed by Angelica's glare.

"Anyways, I still think it'd be a good idea. You guys are a lot more alike than you think."

"And how would you know that Angelica?" Eliza questioned with a cheeky glint in her eyes.

"Yeah, I would also like to know how you know that?" Alexander said, his eyes moving back and forth between Angelica and Eliza, making sure he didn't miss any hidden looks.

The Schuyler sisters had a secret language with one another; one look could be a whole sentence. He had yet to decode their language but he'd be damned if he didn't try.

Angelica suddenly looked really flustered. "I-I have had a few conversations with him and you talk about him an awful lot, and I just came to a conclusion about his character."

"Well, I assure you I'm nothing like him," Hamilton said, he was a little offended that she would think he and Jefferson were even a little bit alike.

"Be that as it may Alexander, I think Angelica is right." Eliza grabbed his hand and he turned his attention to his wife.

He was interested now. How Eliza could think that inviting his enemy to their anniversary party would be a good idea was beyond him. "Well, Alex, look at it like this, you guys are colleagues, and as much as you hate it that it's the truth. Perhaps, seeing him out of work and getting to know him in a different setting may make him at least a little tolerable.