Chapter 10: What's In an Eephus

Ren had her earbuds in and music on full blast as she was walking to practice by herself since no one had any interest in talking to her. She had her hair up in her cap since this was when anyone that was watching practices came. She was singing along to a song when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She quickly took her elbow and jabbed up into the person behind her. She ripped her ear buds out and looked to see Miyuki crouched over. With Yui and Yuki  coming down the path, Ren was so shocked. She had no idea how to react. She was partly horrified that she had  knocked the captain to his knees. But part of her was trying not to laugh because he looked stunned as he was trying to catch his breath.
"I am so sorry" she said
"Do you always knock the wind out of people who try to talk to you?" He asked as he regained his breath
"Only if they are obnoxious captions apparently." She said laughing "Last time I missed. Are you getting to old caption?"
"You really are a little shit when you want to be." He said Ren shrugged
"I don't try to be but, I don't like people touching me. Especially guys that come out of nowhere."
"Well I tried talking to you but you had your damn earbuds in." He said defensively
"Well in my defense I was not expecting anyone to talk to me. Since I have gotten the cold shoulder all day." As she said this it made Ren raise her eyebrow. "Anyways why would you want to talk to me?"
"Well before I nearly got killed, I was trying to say coach wants me to catch for you in the Bullpen. Then something about you pitching against first string after that."
"Why would he want you to catch for me?"
"Do you see any one else who will catch for you?"
"I guess not...."she said hanging her head a little well re-positioning the bag on her shoulder.
"Hey don't go self-destructing now." Miyuki said.
"I will try not to but, no promises." She said as she began to walk to down to the bullpen. Yui and Yuki caught up to Ren. But well Yuki keep going Yui slowed down.
"Ren-Chan, Coach Takashima asked me to give this to you."  Yui said Ren stopped and looked at the piece of paper with stretches depicted and described on it that Yui was handing her.
"Thank you." She said
"How was your examination he asked." As they kept walking
"I guess okay, The doctor said I am lucky I have not torn anything in my shoulder. Since the muscles aren't necessarily really where they should be But, I can pitch. " She said smiling
"That is great! Though what does that mean the muscles than?"
" "Specialized" stretching." Ren said laughing well making air quotes. "I guess that would be these she said looking down at the paper." When they finally made it to the field Ren headed over to the Bullpen where the other pitchers were and began stretching with them.
Ren admittedly did not know much about the other pitchers other than their styles of pitching. Well that and Sawamura was considered an idiot who did not know when to shut his trap half the time. Which she did have to agree but she could not help admiring the guy.
Miyuki walked over with the other catchers assigned to the bullpen. Which Ren was both glad and scared to see her brother was not one of them.
"Hey, hey,hey, don't be looking all stiff." Sawamura shouted. Ren looked around confused. "You Idiot I am talking to you!"
"Me?" Ren asked surprised "I thought you were still mad at me for dumping the rice on you. Or was I forgiven when Koshu was  forgiven?"
"You just look like you might kill one of us." Nori said
"All ready tried to kill Miyuki on the way here unfortunately, I was unsuccessful." Ren said with hint deviance in her eyes. "How does your chest feel by the way?" Ren said turning to look at Miyuki  "haha funny, everyone in the Bullpen."  Miyuki said then proceeded to stop Sawamura who shouted like a whiny baby
"butttt..... why!!! You caught for Furuya yesterday!?"
"I am not catching for Furuya today. Coach wants me to catch for Okumura-San."
"But she has a brother to catch for her!!"
"Hey! I don't want him to either! Honestly you can have him! But incase you did not notice my brother is pissed off at me. Honestly he would probably catch for you before he would me right now."
         Ren had just finished warm up throws and Miyuki was down in his catcher's position he asked for some right handed fast balls which where not exactly working.
"Hey... your to tense" Miyuki said after a ball just about hit him in the face but he caught it just in time.
"Sorry... can we go left first? I have never had anyone catch for me other than Koshu with my right handed Pitch.
"Fine... if that works best for you right now."  Ren switched her glove to her other hand She could eyes on her.  She wound up and she started pitching some normal fast balls to where Miyuki wanted them. She was starting to feel relaxed and just settled into the rhythm.
"Can you do one of those high speeder pitches?"
"Sure.... but they are  temperamental. Just watch your head does not get "blown" off."
Ren wound up again and swung her through faster. The glove made a bang as the ball hit it.
"What kind of pitcher switches fastball speeds like that?!" Yelled Sawamura
"What kind of pitcher pitches breaking balls without trying?!" Ren yelled back. Sawamura stopped and looked at her. "What? We all have our quirks. I think any catcher would tell you that." Ren said laughing
"Hey, Hey, hey, can you two focus on pitching!" Miyuki said trying to call order. "Okumura can we pitch to your right now?"
"Sure." Ren switched her glove. Ren was just about to windup when she head her name
"Ren you going to try your gyroball?!" Ren's head turned to the side of the bull pen. Near the entrance. It was Koushuu.
"No! and if you don't leave I will throw a high speeder at your blasted face Koshu!"
"Wow Ren why are you so aggressive?"
"Because my brother is being an ass! Get lost!" Ren turned back to Miyuki who was nearly caught off guard by how fast she went back to pitching. As a fastball from Ren's right hand came flying.
"Settle down!" Miyuki yelled at her
"What? It is was in the strike zone! Was it not!?"
"Yes it was. But you are going to take my head off." Miyuki said calmer this time.
"Sorry."
Ren was able to find her rhythm switching back and forth between her hands. Though they just pitched normal fast balls.
"Okumura can you do a change up?
"Sure." Ren pitched a change up and everyone looked at her again.
"That pitch looks so much like Narumiya's Change up." Said Furuya. Ren looked at him like she was a deer caught in headlights.
"There not the same that is for sure. But they are very similar, It is almost like the same person is pitching." Said Miyuki "what exactly do you pitch on your right other than fast balls?"
"A Slider though it not as good as my Left handed one."
"Is that it?"
"Well I don't know if you would like it ". Ren said laughing slightly. "It can be effective as long as you can catch batter off guard."
"What is it?"
"An Eephus Pitch." Ren said. Miyuki's eyes widened as the name of the pitch.
"Yeah that is a risky pitch."
"What is an Eephus pitch?" Sawamura asked Nori who was on the other side of Ren look curious and so did Furuya."
"I recall you saying that the Change up is a half assed pitch Sawamura. Now an Eephus is even slower. Okumura what do you pitch that at speed wise?" Miyuki said
"Sub 64 KM" Ren said
"Now that Sawamura is a half assed pitch." Miyuki said laughing.
"Hey! As long as you strike batters out who cares! Also before any one asks to see it! No, I can't pitch it in here unless you want a hole in the roof. "
"Okay what is up with this Gyroball."
"Completely unusable and Koshu knows it. He was just trying to piss me off. I have a curveball but it is still New to me"
***********
Miyuki was stopped by the coach on his way out of the bullpen. Ren was heading to the mound in the middle of the field to pitch for batting and fielding practice.
"What do you think?"
"I think Yui was lucky he caught that fast pitch in the inter- Squad. It is not just fast pitch but has power to it. But nothing like Furuya's. Good control but she lacks the confidence Sawamura has. She is good in the Bullpen. But she might crack under batters. She nearly took my head off with a pitch from her right side. when her brother said something to her. I honestly I was shocked at how fast it came it was sharp as well."
"Is that all?" The coach asked
"Honestly I would hate to have her on an opposing team. I can see why Inashiro wants her on their team. If that confidence can be over come she will be scary to face."
"Okay now go catch before she realizes what she is truly pitching against."
************
Ren was starting to feel the pressure of the task placed upon her. Mochi had got jammed and the ball was caught by the backup shortstop.
Now she facing the little pinked haired batting devil. She wanted to strike him out so bad it was greedy and she might make a mistake overthinking it. Pitching right handed Ren was asked for fastball to the inside. "Damn won't he hit that?" She taught. She pitched and Haruichi hit it but it was a foul ball. Miyuki asked for a curveball next which ended up as a strike. Ren was shocked he had not swung at it because it was a little high. Was he aiming for fastballs. Next two pitchs were balls. "Damn it" she thought "I am losing my head already." Miyuki was doing fine calling pitches. but some where deep in her mind she did not trust him. She did not trust any catcher other than her brother. The 5th pitch was also a ball. "Damn it!" Miyuki called a time and walked up to the mound.
"What is wrong?"
"My head won't clear up. I am so sorry! I can't screw this up I just can't."
"Okay we can switch hands... but can we try that Eephus pitch since you don't have anything else on your right?"
"I guess I can try. I can definitely get it in the strike zone but he hits it. He may very well have a homer."
"Well try it"
Miyuki ran back. Ren tried to remember to breath. Which she felt like she could implode. She made the motion where her hand was practically touching the ground and the ball arched in the air slowly. Haruichi swung at it and missed.
"What the hell kind of pitch was that?" Someone yelled. Ren felt herself relax a little. Miyuki through the ball back hard at her. She knew that was his way of saying nice pitch which settled her even more and she was even able to smile a little.