Cook or Die

"My name is Freddie Garcia, and I am the Head Chef of Bistro AB+. I've lived in San Jose almost my whole life. My mom moved us all to the states when we were little. I'm the oldest of four, I've always thought of myself as some kind of father figure to them all. I'm only two years older than my baby brother, but he didn't have no dad to teach him how to be a man, so I stepped up for it.

I've been in this business for 14 years and I've cooked everything: legs, ribs, wings, breasts. Man, I could even cook brains at this point. I got this. At Bistro AB+, we focus on spice, and you know I'm gonna be bringing the heat to this competition.

I want to win this for my siblings, man. They've always been my inspiration, my foundation, and they deserve this win. They deserve to see me come home a champion."

The director called "Cut" and invited the next contestant in. The room was open and sprawling, with no doors or walls to border anything off. As Evelyn Reynolds walked up to the ancient, metal folding chair, she could see the entire set for the show: four cooking areas, all splayed out in the expansive old airplane hangar. Evey, like "Ee-Vee", as she wanted to be called, spoke with confidence that outdid Freddie's absurd cockiness.

"I am Evey Reynolds and I will win this competition. No matter the contestants, no matter the ingredients, no matter the judges, I know what it takes to be a winner. I am a killer in the kitchen.

I own Hat's Off, which is a silly, small cafe in the Upper West Side. I've owned the place for 5 years now, but I have always lived in NYC. New York!" she mocks the accent painfully accurate. It disappears when she begins again.

"I didn't start cooking until I was 32 years old. Before that, I was doing anything and everything to make a buck. Let me tell ya, stuff they don't want me saying on this show. Anyway, my girlfriend always loved the way I made dinner, she told me to quit playing around and do something with my life. That was almost 15 years ago. I owe her my life. That's why I'm cooking today. I want to win everything for Baby."

Once again, the director called "Cut" and Evey walked back towards the other contestants. Anastasia Hunter passed her on her way to the rickety chair. She sat down and the chair groaned as her masses flooded over the sides. Anastasia's confidence again seemed to outdo her predecessor.

"I'm Anastasia Hunter!" She shouted when she spoke, and each syllable was pronounced with a staccato cadence. As if she wanted the rhythm of her name to be stuck in the heads of everyone she came into contact with. Ana-Sta-Sia Hun-Ter.

"I'm from Murfreesboro, Tennessee and I got soul spices, sweet sugah, and all the lovin you need in the kitchen. I don't just taste my food, I eat it, like a good chef. I got me a little place in my hometown. It's called Anastasia's! We cook up all kinds of comfort for your belly: collards, mac n' cheese, ribs and breasts and I think I might even cook up brains, too! Even though I ain't serving up fancy food, I can tell you my cooking always tastes the best. If you have some of Anastasia Hunter's food and don't like it, honey you must be from a different planet.

I'm playing for me today. If I win, I'm gone go back to Tennessee and brag to my friends and family and say if they ever let anybody cook for them that ain't me, I can't talk to them no more. I've been playing around in this business for too long. I know what it takes to make something good. I got the secrets." she held the "S" at the end, whistling between the gap in her teeth like some snake out for its prey. A sigh of relief came from the director.

"Cut" she said. The chair noted the director's relief and gave the same sigh as Anastasia sat up. She worked her way back to the seating area where Freddie and Evey sat. John Adams was already making his way to the folding chair.