Chapter 1

Dawnkit peeked over her mother's fur, at her sleeping brother, and smirked mischievously. Stormkit constantly tried to prove himself better than the others, so she'd decided to teach her brother a lesson in modesty.
Looking back at the fire ants on the leaf, she thought for a second if it was too much. Shaking her head, she quickly and carefully nestled the leaf near her brother, pausing to make sure that Streamfeather, her mother, was still asleep.

Takin a moment to sneak back to her spot of choice when sleeping, she curled up, resting her tail on her nose, and slowed her breaths so it sounded as though she were sound asleep. A moment later, Stormkit's shriek could be heard throughout the RiverClan camp. Streamfeather rushed over, and Dawnkit opened her eyes a slit to faintly see what was happening.
Stormkit was wailing with fire ants clumped in his fur. Streamfeather picked him up by the scruff, leading him into the medicine den. Dawnkit could barely make out their voices, but she detected Losteye, the medicine cat's, loud raspy mew. She laughed silently, looking up to see Moonkit's amber eyes watching her with astonishment. "How could you do that?!" She whispered in a scandalized tone. Dawnkit shrugged. "He was getting too proud." She whispered back. Moonkit sighed, before smiling resignedly. "You'll get in a lot of trouble." Dawnkit raised her eyebrows. "Not if they don't know."

"Dawnkit." Dawnkit froze, as she heard Streamfeather's voice behind her. "Uh, yes?" She replied, faking a sleepy tone. "What's going on?" Streamfeather let out an exasperated sigh. "You're five moons old, almost an apprentice! You can't go around pulling dangerous practical jokes anymore."
Dawnkit looked down. "He deserved it..." She mumbled. Streamfeather pulled her close. "Losteye is picking out all the ants. Go say sorry." Dawnkit looked up. "But it's nighttime!" Streamfeathers shot her a pointed look, and Dawnkit Sighed. "Fine."
She looked out of the nursery, running into the medicine den. Maybe if she hurried, the others wouldn't notice. She burst into the den, to see Stormkit and Lost-eye. Dawnkit stepped back. She'd never seen Losteye up close. She'd been there when she was born, but Reedpaw was always sent after. She now understood why. Losteye was a slender ginger tabby, with white tipped paws. She looked so delicate and graceful, until you saw her face. Her left eye was nothing more than an empty cavity, a gaping hole in the otherwise pretty she-cat's face. Losteye's right eye was green, like a leaf. "Yes?"
Dawnkit stepped forward. "U-um, I'm here to say sorry." She looked down at her paws. Stormkit sniffed, but Losteye smiled. Her green eye rested on Dawnkit. "It's alright. It wasn't much trouble. Run along, Stormkit." Her brother nodded. He leapt past Dawnkit, running to Streamfeather.

"So why fire ants? Losteye's voice cut through Dawnkit's thoughts. She looked up confusedly. "Um, because. He was always running around like he was leader. He needed to be more modest." She explained, while wondering if it was some sort of trap. Losteye laughed. "I can understand that. But don't tell your mother I said that." Dawnkit nodded. She wouldn't tell Streamfeather that, ever. "Go to sleep. You'll be an apprentice in a moon, no need to waste your sleep." Dawnkit nodded again, before running back into the nursery. She curled up nest to her mother, far away from Stormkit.

***

Another half moon went by, uneventful, except Snowkit got his head stuck in a bush.

Dawnkit laughed as Moonkit pulled out a leaf from a bush. Moonkit fell with an oof, looking up dazedly as a warrior burst into camp, with what looked like a furball in his mouth. Troutclaw nudged Moonkit towards the nursery. "Go to your mother." He mewed gently, looking away from his daughter to glance at Dawnkit. "You too." Moonkit nodded. "Come on." She mewed to Dawnkit, who followed slowly. She crouched intk the corner of the nursery, looking up as the warrior who'd burst into camp, was actually carrying a shivering kit. She padded over. "Who's that?" Streamfeather pulled her away. "What happened to him?" She heard Swiftdawn, Moonkit's mother, ask worriedly. She heard a thud, and the kit had leapt down. The kit was a russet furred tom, with a white under-belly , paws, and tail tip. He watched them all with frosty blue eyes. "I want to stay here." He mewed confidently.

The warrior turned to the queens. "Froststar said he was welcome in RiverClan if one of the queens took him in." He explained. Swiftdawn nodded. "Stonewhisker, Snowkit and Moonkit are my only surviving kits, so I'll take him in." She mewed softly. Dawnkit faintly remembered Pebblekit and Mosskit, well actually, their vigil. She'd only been 2 moons then. Stonewhisker nodded, before turning to the kit. "And what do you want to be called?" He mewed. The kit smiled mischieviously. "Foxkit. I want to named Foxkit." Dawnkit sensed a slight wave of unease in the nursery. Fox was rarely ever the name of a good cat. It was considered bad luck. Swiftdawn frowned. "Are you sure?" Foxkit nodded. He then smiled at Moonkit and Dawnkit. "Hi." Moonkit smiled back, but Dawnkit watched, eyes narrowed. She wouldn't fall for this sly kit's charms. She would remain suspicious.

Snowkit tackled Foxkit, letting out a battle cry. Foxkit oushed him off, only ti have Moonkit land on him jnstead. Streamfeather chuckled. "He seems to fit in well." Dawnkit nodded slowly. "Yeah..." She mewed. "Too well." Dawnkit muttered hnder her breath. Stormkit wasn't her only target, it seemed.